dexta pto clutch

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
john kirby
Not Quite Blue Yet

dexta pto clutch

Post by john kirby »

Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to free off a stuck pto clutch. In detail what I mean is....my dexta is a typical live drive model with the two stage clutch. When you depress the pedal all the way and try to engage the pto with the level, it grinds. Putting two and two together and reading plenty of blogs I have come to the conclusion that the clutch plate is either stuck to the pressure plate or the splines are scummed up making it stick. What I now need to know is there an easy way to free it off with out splitting the tractor in two. Anyone got any good suggestions?

PghBill
True Blue

Re: dexta pto clutch

Post by PghBill »

John,
Are you sure your clutch release pedal / linkage is adjusted properly ?
Good place to start

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

In the bottom left of this picture there is a clevis connecting to the release bearing shaft. Make sure the pin is in the rear hole to start with. If that does not work then you will need to put an implement on the tractor that will work the PTO hard, and try releasing the PTO clutch while its working. May get it unstuck. I have another brand of tractor that will stick the PTO plate fast in no time when it's a bit damp outside. I put a topping mower on it (that's all I've got) and drop it down on some heavy scrub with the clutch pedal in to get it to break free.

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Adding to what pjjms said, after you put a bush hog/slasher on the back of your tractor, put the PTO in gear before you start your tractor. When it starts like pjjms said work it hard and it will come loose.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

john kirby
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by john kirby »

Thanks for the input guys but I've already made sure that the clevis pin is in correct hole, the only thing I've not tried is taking the arm off the splines and trying in a different position ie giving a little more push on the release bearing. Whilst mowing and turning hay last year tried a lot of times to release the clutch but it had no effect

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

If you feel an increase in resistance in the second half of the pedal travel, and the drive clutch works well, then there would be nothing to gain moving the linkage. Adjustment will more the drive clutch release out of limits as well.

I think you will be splitting the tractor. Over the years I have wasted a lot of time trying to avoid the real job, which I always seemed to end up doing anyway. I think this is one of those jobs. Don't forget to wedge the front axle when you do split it.