Non Starter

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Dexydog64
Not Quite Blue Yet

Non Starter

Post by Dexydog64 »

Due to berevment and other things my 58 Dexta has been laid up for the best part of 12months. Decided to have a go at starting it today, My Dexta has never been the best cold starter,previous owner used easy start. fitted new glow plug, new primer pump.filters fresh diesel etc. Dexta started after much playing about and swearing. My Dexta ran at standstill for about half hour while I moved things about so I cold get him out. Finally got him on to the road and then took it for a short run,no problems returned to the drive then went to pull off again engine died and has refused to start again,(engine warm) Has anybody got any ideas, engine turns over nicely, new battery fitted.Diesel getting through to injectors,(reconditioned last year) Will carry out a compression test sometime this week if I get time.

scoobyjim
True Blue

Re: Non Starter

Post by scoobyjim »

If you have fuel air and compression it should start.

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

make sure the choke is pushed back in :)

Dunggatherer
True Blue

Post by Dunggatherer »

Hello Dexydog,

If the previous owner used easystart, there's a chance that the piston rings are broken.
The compression test might show this.

All the requirements seem to be there, injectors working, engine spins etc.
I would check the airflow too.
During the summer the engine should start without the heater.

You might try squirting a little bit (not too much to prevent hydrolock !) of thick engine oil into the cilinders.
You can do that by removing the injectors.
During the time you need to replace the injectors, the oil will drip off the pistons, onto the rings, thus closing any gaps. if she starts after that the problem is most likely compression, either because of broken rings, or wear.

If she starts, check for smoke.
Breathing through the oildipstick, through the filler cap, etc.

Good luck!
Rob.