No power, bad clutch?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
swhetsel
Not Quite Blue Yet

No power, bad clutch?

Post by swhetsel »

Ok, I searched the forum but "bad clutch" had 700+ results and after 10 pages, I gave up. I am having what I think is worn clutch symptoms. The tractor barely moves up an incline in 3rd through 6th. Almost like I have no power, but the tractor doesn't bog ever. I used to put in in 6th and you could stall the tractor almost. Now it just doesn't move. No noises, no nothing, just no power. An I correct in think it's the clutch?

Part two of this post then is how hard is it to put in a new one? Cost? This is a petrol dexta, where do I get the parts?(I live in the U.S. and this is dual stage one)
1964 Gas (Petrol) Fordson Dexta
Akron, OH USA

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: No power, bad clutch?

Post by Brian »

Sounds like you are right and the clutch is faulty. Look to replace the pilot bearing and thrust bearing as well. Clutch comes as a complete unit and just bolts on the flywheel. Not sure about where to get one in the US but Sparex and Bepco do them, it is the same as the diesel Dexta.

I split my petrol a short while ago to put a new starter ring gear in. Took me all day to complete a job I used to do in 1 to 2 hours. :cry: I did have to have the flywheel off and replace the ring gear though. Not a bad job at all to split, I used my crane and a bottle jack, I would not recommend supporting the engine on a trolly jack as the Dexta front wheels go all ways when the track rods are disconnected and it is hard to stop things wobbling about.

I also use two rods in the bolt holes to keep things in line as I push her together and, when the two parts are close enough, I put a long bolt in and gently tighten the nut at the same time as pushing back and rocking the front wheels. Do not pull her together with the bolts as you can damage the clutch plates if the splines are not lined up. You need to have the tractor in gear and turn the engine as you go back together. I put a spanner on the PTO shaft and turn that, in gear, as well.

It is one of those jobs that is quite easy if you take your time.

You might also like to check out this post.

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=3&t=5157
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

swhetsel
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by swhetsel »

Brian you are a wealth of knowledge, thank you.

Another question for you though, it's the 9" dual clutch the right one?
http://www.malpasonline.co.uk/Catalogue ... artPage=23

If I know what to get, I'll look around here in the States for it.
Akron, OH USA

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

S19509 is the complete clutch. That is what I would get as it has all new parts and, if yours has been slipping the centre metal plate could be damaged.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

Hi.

I would also do the input and rope seals while you're in there as it could be oil on your clutch that's making it slip...
Mark

swhetsel
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by swhetsel »

So almost a year including a terrible winter later, I finally got out to look at this thing.
I removed the little cap on top of the transmission and watched what happened when I put it in gear...

Two Stage Clutch
Stage 1: Check
When I hold the clutch fully down it the PTO stops. When I release it half way, the PTO (if engaged) will start spinning.
Stage 2: Check
While holding the clutch at least half way down, I can swap gears without ANY noise or issue. If I release the clutch fully, and slowly attempt to put it in gear... *grind*! So as it would appear the clutch is actually working as it should and allowing me to switch gears.

So why is it that I can creep along in 1st gear, and on flat ground only in 2? 3,4,5,6 it just doesnt move. No noises, no engine bog, no nothing.
So now I am staring in this little hole trying to figure out what the deal is. When I put it in any gear above 3 I see the gears attempt to move, but they dont. I decided to put the HI|LOW selector in Neutral and do the same thing, and with no tension the gears move freely! As soon as I put it in HI or LOW it wont move again.

I am not a tractor expert or the best mechanic, but what would cause the clutch to work, but it not to be able to apply and force from the engine to the transmission?
Why would I be able to shift gears, but only move in 1 and 2?

Gah!...
Akron, OH USA

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

I think the clutch has had it, it must be slipping. There will still be a little grip in it enough to move along the flat in a low gear or to spin the gears unloaded.

Good luck with it, I am still looking for the time to mine back together with a new clutch.

Regards

Ian