missing grills on most Dextas

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
terry274
True Blue

missing grills on most Dextas

Post by terry274 »

I have noticed that a lot of Dexta tractors no longer have their grills. Mine does not have them and I think they might make a nice Christmas present. Does anyone have an opinion on why so many people loose or remove the grill from these tractors? If I do buy a replacement will it require any special hardware to mount the new grill?
Thanks,
Terry
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

I don't know how the ranchers are in your part of the country, Terry, but here most (not all) of them are some of the worst drivers ever. They run into fences, gates, barns, even cows and other equipment all the time. Their pickups are as bad as the tractors, they usually look like they've been in a terrible accident. If they bump something with the front of the tractor, and the grill falls out, the tractor will still run without it, so it gets thrown on the other side of the fence or in the bed of the pickup, never to be seen again.
Most of my tractors still had their grills, but either the grills, or radiator cowls were bent or dented on almost all of them. My Dexta still has its grills, but the radiator cowl has more body filler than steel in it.

WayneB
True Blue

Parts Availability

Post by WayneB »

Terry,

Oscars site has done much in the US to make parts availablity for Dexta's possible. When I bought my first Dexta in 2001, parts were like looking for the HOLY Graile.
A proofmeter was pure gold for a Dexta. Now eBay has them plenty.
I have bought the grills with and without lights, and while not cheap, they fit back and stay there.
As I paruse web sites for parts in US, ie- YTMAG, Walts, FNH, etc there are now more Dexta parts listed.
Even fuel primer taps and transmission gears, shafts and bearings.
I even have an Un-Mounted power steering kit that one day will go on one of my Super Ds.
And the nice thing is Dexta's can still be found at reasonable prices.

Wayne
Tractor poor, 59 Dexta, 61 & (3) 62 SuperDexta-s, 68 4000 Ford 4x4, 81 Ford 1100 4x4, 55-HD5G AC Crawler Loader, 1951 CAT D6 9U, 1967 160B Dynahoe backhoe and now a toy JD 850 4x4 loader compact.