Oil and Fuel Filter Replacements

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
95glide
Not Quite Blue Yet

Oil and Fuel Filter Replacements

Post by 95glide »

I tore into my fuel system yesterday mainly to replace the lift pump (which fixed the fuel leaking excessively from the overflow tube). :D
When I decided to go ahead and clean the fuel filter element after I removed it I noticed that it was way beyond cleaning and needed replacement. Low and behold there was a part number on the filter.
WIX 33194 -- I call the local NAPA auto parts store and they had a exact replacement with NAPA part # 3194.

My question is, does anyone know it there is a WIX part number for the oil filter? I was hoping to get a replacement before I start with the oil change, but I might end up having to pull the filter out and see if it does have a number on it. It would be nice to be able to procure at least the filters locally to save the shipping costs.

Thanks,
Jeff
'62 Dexta

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Jeff,

The Wix oil filter # is 51188 which crosses to NAPA 1188.
(Googled both Wix and NAPA filters and then Filter look up)
Interesting that both NAPA and Wix use the same data base search, both spell Dexta "Dextra" and their part #'s are nearly the same?) Are they connected?

Cheers,
Les
PS Snowing and -4C (~25F) here right now but forecast is for -32C (~-25F) by Saturday night! Brrr! I'm not ready for this!

brownsmule
True Blue

Dexta oil filter

Post by brownsmule »

I would give the numbers to you however the tractor and info is about 75 miles away at this time. I bought my replacement filters at NAPA and they had them listed under the Ford 2000, just be sure to confirm that it is with the 3 cyl diesel engine.

On the other hand, next oil change I am going to replace the current filter head to use a spin on filter. It's sooooo much easier and not so messy. I'll keep the old canister filter if someone later wants to be 100 percent original for show. The spin on filter heads & filters show up on ebay on a regular basis.

Best Regards
Brownsmule
Mooresville NC USA

95glide
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by 95glide »

Thanks Les,
Thats is great to know. I found the filter look up page.

One other question I see on Ebay there are basically 2 part numbers listed..

The EPN6731A and EPN6731B
when I look them up on NAPA they are different part numbers and the one you mention (NAPA 1188) is tied to the B part number.
The A shows up as NAPA 1193.

Was there a change in a certain year on that filter? My Dexta is a 62

Thanks,
Jeff
PS.. The low here today is 64F, we have a cold front in now. :D Tomorrow its suppose to warm back up to around 75F .. I love Florida!
'62 Dexta

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Hi Jeff,
From the parts lists I have:
Looks like there were 2 types of oil filter heads and canisters used throughout>>AC and Tacalemit.
Both, however, used the same filter element 957E-6731 and large sealing ring where the canister meets the head. The upper and lower square type o-rings around the bolt are listed with different #'s in 2 books but with the same #'s in the 3rd parts list??

As far as I can tell from the the EPN-6731-B number refers to a kit consisting of the filter element (957E-6731) and and the large top sealing ring (E1ADDN-188688-B ) for the Tacalemit type canister for the US market. But both types supposedly used the same element and sealing ring?
The 2 filters from NAPA are certainly different sizes!
The 1193 is listed for a Major and is a bigger filter but the smaller 1188 is for a Super Major as well as the Dextas.
Maybe someone else can shed more light.

More confused,
Les

terry274
True Blue

Post by terry274 »

My Super Dexta has two fuel filters. The first is on the right hand side and is a water separator. It is a Fram housing with a clear plastic bowl. The part number of the element is 11893. I have not been able to find a replacement of any kind, I wonder if one of those NAPA numbers is for this filter? If I can't find an element I will replace the housing with a new model. Any suggestions?
[Edit]
I just realized you are talking about oil filters, not fuel filters. Sorry
Terry
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Terry,
It appears (from a couple of internet sites) the Fram filter element 11893 (actually CCS118963) was discontinued in 2006 but I can find no description of it or cross it over.

I think it was also used on the1966 Versatile D100 with a Ford diesel engine but the cross references are confusing. (Some have it as an element and others as a canister)

Was the Fram an original factory installation and does the element go inside a canister or does it have metal sides (that form part of the canister) with open top and bottom?
I have a E1ADDN-91662C filter on hand for a dual filter system (63/64) that we were given by the dealer by mistake for our '62 Super Dexta some 20 years ago. I wonder which canister it fits?
Les

terry274
True Blue

Post by terry274 »

Lesfen, the element looks similar to the other fuel filter element, but it is sealed with orange rubber on the bottom. The bottom seemed to be open with slits but after a close inspection I believe it is sealed. I don't know what the purpose of the slits are. The body is metal with holes and the top is orange rubber with one hole that fits onto the head. The actual filter material is paper. I plan on trying to replace the entire thing with this:

The head of this looks very much like the Fram that is on the tractor now.
Terry
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Terry,
That's a nice unit. Where did you find it?
I checked the filter element (E1ADDN-91662C) that I have waiting for a New Performance Super Dexta :)
It is just as you described the Fram with orange rubber top and bottom and the 3 slots in the bottom.

Les

terry274
True Blue

Post by terry274 »

It is a fuel and water separator from NAPA auto parts.

Item#: BK 7511145
Price: $28.59
tax and shipping not included
Attributes:
Product Features:Universal Fuel / Water Separator & Canister w/ Double Seal Ensures Proper Operation Of Boat Motor
Fits All 2 & 4 Cycle Engines
3/8" Ports
Replaces OEM #'s:Mercury 35-60494A4

It is a universal marine application filter according to NAPA.
Lesfen, to answer an earlier question, I believe the filter was from the factory or as a dealer installed option. It does not look like something that was added on later. The fuel lines are clipped together neatly and routed around the engine in a professional manner. In fact, as I think about it I am sure I saw this filter in one of the repair manuals.
Terry
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta