Air Filter element

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
agroman
True Blue

Air Filter element

Post by agroman »

A question. I have ordered a new gauze air filter for the oil bath. The new one is smaller than the original both in diameter by about 9mm and about half the height. Looking around on the internet they all appear to be the same as the one I have bought. Are there 2 different types? If so where do I get the correct filter. It's for a 58 Dexta (pneumatic governor).

Thanks
1958 Dexta with loader crying out for TLC. Now getting some

Timeee
True Blue

Re: Air Filter element

Post by Timeee »

Dear Agroman

According to my parts list, there are 2 different air cleaners. One made by Burgess, the other by AC. I think the AC type was for early Dextas and the Burgess type was for Super Dextas. Presumably, yours parts supplier has failed to realise this. Sadly, a lot of new parts are poor patterns and for the convenience of getting a "new" part, one then spends hours faffing around because it doesn't fit. I find it best to get an old original in as good condition as possible and refurb/service it myself. Sorry, not much help in obtaining a new filter element, but at least you have the possible reason why.

Regards Tim E

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Can you wash out your old one? I believe dish washer powder is recommended.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Vulgunx
True Blue

Post by Vulgunx »

I just put my old one back in after washing with the jet wash... Had snails and everything in it
Owner of a 1961 fordson dexta restyled model :)

Vulgunx
True Blue

Post by Vulgunx »

I just put my old one back in after washing with the jet wash... Had snails and everything in it
Owner of a 1961 fordson dexta restyled model :)

agroman
True Blue

Post by agroman »

Thanks for replies. It's a 58 so I guess its the early type filter. As its going to be a hassle finding the correct one, I think I will just give it the dishwasher treatment - whilst the boss is out!
1958 Dexta with loader crying out for TLC. Now getting some