engine oil

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
aldo
True Blue

engine oil

Post by aldo »

Good afternoon everyone.
I read somewhere on this forum, and now I can't seem to find it again, that someone (I think it was Brian ) said that they use ordinary passenger car motor oil in their Dexta. I was just wondering whether that oil was ordinary petrol motor oil, or was it one that was suitable also for diesel engines. The reason I ask is that I can get 10 litres of good quality 20w/50 engine oil for $35, which is a good price over here. But it says for petrol and LPG engines, with no mention of diesel engines. Some other passenger car motor oils say for petrol and diesel (but only come in 5 litre containers for about $30). And the diesel motor oils say things like "superior soot handling properties", "enhanced soot handling" etc - is this soot handling ability important or mostly just a gimmick?

Aldo

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Most of the named brands of oil like Castrol, over here, are rated for diesels as well as petrol cars. The cost of oil though seems to have rocketed and most offered now are synthetic based and not really suitable for our tractors.

I have an oil supplier in the town, Freedom Oils, with whom I have discussed this and they have a 15/40W oil that is good for older engines. I changed to this about eighteen months ago when Castrol Multiuse became harder to get and more expensive.

I run this in engine, gearbox and rear axle in all my tractors now.

Most car engine oils now contain a far higher level of detergents than the older tractors needed. With the amount of use they get, I would see no problem in using them in our tractors. I cannot see the advantage of "anti-soot" properties as, for me, this would be related to the amount of fuel burnt rather than anything in the oil.

I run Castrol in both the Rover and the Cougar along with Wynns additives but this is because they are serviced at our local garage.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

aldo
True Blue

Post by aldo »

Thanks for your reply Brian. Normally I would buy a 20 litre drum of diesel tractor oil for about $80-90, but you put me on to the idea of looking at car oil. I ended up buying that oil I was talking about, a so-called 'trade pack' (10 litres) of valvoline 20w/50 for $35. The API classification is 'SG', which I googled and found out that is also good for diesel engines.

Here's what is said:
(quoted from http://www.procarcare.com/includes/cont ... ilgde.html)

API Symbol
SG (obsolete) (1989 Gasoline Engine Warranty Maintenance Service)
Use & Definition
Service typical of gasoline engines in passenger cars, vans and light trucks beginning with the 1989 model year operating under manufacturer's recommended maintenance procedures. Category SG quality oils include the performance properties of API Service Category CC. (Certain manufacturers of gasoline engines require oils also meeting API Service Category CID). Oils developed for this service provide improved control of engine deposits, oil oxidation and engine wear relative to oils developed for previous categories. These oils also provide protection against rust and corrosion. Oils meeting API Service Category SG may be used where API Service Categories SF, SE, SF/CC or SE/CC are recommended.

API Symbol
CC (obsolete) (Moderate Duty Diesel and Gasoline Engine Service)
Use & Definition
Service typical of lightly supercharged diesel engines operated in moderate to severe duty and has included certain heavy duty gasoline engines. Oils designed for this service were introduced in 1961 and used in many trucks and In industrial and construction equipment and farm tractors. These oils provide protection from high temperature deposits in lightly supercharged diesels and also from rust, corrosion, and low temperature deposits in gasoline engines.

Aldo