dexta check chains?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
pbufton
True Blue

dexta check chains?

Post by pbufton »

What do you guys use for adjustable check chains on your dexta?

Picked up a lovely little ferguson plough on the Weekend but I've got nothing to stop the hydraulic arms from swaying. Can only find adjustable ones for a major?

Thanks

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: dexta check chains?

Post by Bensdexta »

I use a pair of Agriline 4893 chains c/w with bottle screws for adjustment. On each I've shackled on a link plate Agriline 4902 at the implement end.

I use this set up on my mounted harrow and topper. Works great.

Initially I experimented with stabiliser bars but found the link pins on the axle bracket kept breaking because of the contant back and forth, tension and compression, in the bars. Chains only load in tension and you can adjust the slack with the bottle screws, so it's a much kinder set up - had no breakages.

For a discussion see http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=3&t=5692
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Les bryant
True Blue

Post by Les bryant »

When ploughing you don't use stay bars or check chains if the plough is set up properly.
Cheers Les.

pbufton
True Blue

Post by pbufton »

Thanks for replies..perhaps I'll leave the check chains for the moment..Thought they'd be a must to keep the plough straight! Next step is getting it set ready to have a bash at a working day in August :)

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

Ben
After a period of further restoration and repairs I spent a great afternoon topping my paddocks today with my Dexta hooked up to a 6ft offset Fleming. I noticed the topper had a tendency to jerk quite sharply when I turned to do a return run. Would these adjustable Agriline stabilisers improve this? If so how do you fit them? I have the standard check chains. I should add that I've converted the link arms to cat 2 for my PM2 plough so the topper has conversion bushes but not sure if this makes any difference.

thanks

Mike
1959 Dexta
I'm not retired just re-deployed

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

I wouldn't advise doing any big turns with the topper on the ground, unless it has castoring wheels - small steering adjustments only. You could bend something.

I raise my topper before turning at the headland for the return run.

I run my topper with substantial stabiliser chains, one on each side, running from the pin under the rear axle to the end of the link arm. And not too tight, so the topper can move sideways a bit.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

Thanks for the advice Ben could I ask if you post a picture of how you have connected the stabiliser chains please?
1959 Dexta

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

Here's a couple of pictures from Ben showing how he fitted the stabiliser chains

ImageDexta stabiliser chains 1 by Michael Jones, on Flickr

ImageDexta stabiliser chains 2 by Michael Jones, on Flickr
1959 Dexta