New Dual Clutch

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
alang
True Blue

New Dual Clutch

Post by alang »

My 58 Dexta engine is being overhauled and I decided to splash out on a new dual clutch (Agriline). When I gave it to the engineer and told him it was "bolt on" he looked a bit suspicious :? - so my question is, was he right to be. Does anyone have experience of fitting one?

ianpdexta
True Blue

Re: New Dual Clutch

Post by ianpdexta »

You are right, it is simply a matter of bolting it on. Both plates are already fitted and aligned. I have just fitted mine and I was intending to update my post on the matter with pictures but I haven't got round to sorting out the pictures yet. The tractor reassembled ok and the pedal feels right with 2 distinct stages of force but I have yet to go through the setup procedure in the manual. Also beware of the replacement clutch release bearings, they are too thin, I made up a spacer as did Brian. See

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=3&t=6256
and
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=3&t=5793

Regards

Ian

alang
True Blue

Post by alang »

Many thanks Ian, he's going to check the depth of the Thrust Bearing.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Not only is the thrust bearing too narrow and needs a spacer but the surface is also too narrow. I had to get a completely different bearing to the one supplied to get the buttons to run in the right place on the thrust surface.

The replacement bearing supplied with the clutch had a longer inner track which would have rubbed on the buttons when the clutch was depressed. You can see from the picture that the original has the inner track set back from the thrust surface. If the inner track protrudes through the bearing it will wear the buttons as it does not turn.

Not a brilliant picture but you can see where the inner track finishes on the original bearing. The replacement you use needs to be like this.

Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

alang
True Blue

Post by alang »

:shock: I'm glad I started the post, thanks guys.

Trevorthetractor
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Trevorthetractor »

Hi does anyone have information on how far the 6 release bolts should be above the arms mine are all over the place clutch plates seem fine though. thanks

Trevorthetractor
Not Quite Blue Yet

you might call them buttons??

alang
True Blue

Post by alang »

Sorry can't help with the correct adjustment details, but does this help describe the "buttons"?Image

Trevorthetractor
Not Quite Blue Yet

Yes it does, i have found another issue with the leavers so it looks like I need a replacement!!

Trevorthetractor
Not Quite Blue Yet

Anyone else in this situation have a look at May Hill tractor spares the price seem very good.