Nose cone badge

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
npaisnel
True Blue

Nose cone badge

Post by npaisnel »

Can anyone tell me how, if they were fitted, the vertical badge between radiator grilles is fitted to an early 1959 Dexta?

I tend to believe that ours did not have one, since there are no holes drilled in the front vertical bar..or is this because they were clipped on somehow?
I have other nose cones, and they have two or three holes drilled down the centre.

Not talking about the oval wheatsheaf here, but the vertical strip about 18 inches long

Cheers

Neil

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Neil,
Not all Dextas had that badge. Think it went out about 1960 then there was just a large badge on the bonnet.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Stefan
True Blue

Post by Stefan »

Neil,

could it be, that the tractor got a new nose cone in the past? Maybe a later type nose cone was used ... just a thought.

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Ok, thanks Brian.

Stefan, I think you mis understood my original question, but thanks for taking the time to reply.
The original did not have the holes, but it was too far gone to restore, very dented at the top and rusted away at the bottom.

The one I was using to restore had three holes drilled in it and I found the matching front bar in a box of bits. I think the third hole at the bottom may have been added later though

I was going to put it ( the badge) on the tractor, but then noticed that the original cone did not have the holes, and therefore probably no badge either.

That was why I was asking if the early ones had the vertical badge, but possibly secured in some other manner, stuck on clipped on etc.
Last edited by npaisnel on Thu May 01, 2008 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

npaisnel
True Blue

here are the pics of the cones

Post by npaisnel »

I think the third bottom hole is incorrect, is that correct?

Ok, so I could have done up the original, but the one I restored was in much better condition. This may get done in the future for one of the others

BarryT
True Blue

Post by BarryT »

npaisnel,

Brian is correct, the early Dextas up to 1960 had the vertical "Fordson Dexta" ornament secured by two bolts to the centre section of the nose cone. From 1960 they had a "Fordson Dexta" ornament fitted to both sides of the bonnet. Hope this helps.

Barry

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

OK, thanks, 2 bolts.
The third bolt at the bottom of my front badge must have been added later.

Won't be putting it on my 1959 tractor though, it had no holes for the badge, so must assume it didn't have it.

Neil

BarryT
True Blue

Post by BarryT »

npaisnel,

Your 1959 Dexta would have the front decal when new, I have a 1960 which was just before the change and it has it on. Could be your Dexta's had a new nose cowling at some stage in it's life, many tractors have had new cowlings as this was usually where most damages occured.

Barry

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Thanks for the deedback Barry.

We have had it since new, and I have since spoken to both my father, uncle and the mechanic who used to work at the local dealership, and they dont remember it ever having the front decal.

It has never had a new nose cone, that is for certain. The front end was as good as new, until as a six year old, I got on it, started it and drove it down a slope into a tree. That is the damage I am repairing now as a 40 year old. I have never been allowed to forget damaging the farms first new tractor!!

Check Brians post again, he seems to think some of the early ones did not have the decal, so for now I will leave it off. I hava a later Dexta that will probably need it anyway. In the past two years I have scrapped 3 Dextas, and that is where the decal and the nose cone with the holes came from.

Barry, what size front wheel rims does your 1960 Dexta have 16 inch or 19 inch rims?

BarryT
True Blue

Post by BarryT »

npaisnel,

That's very interesting and just goes to show how some tractors differ from the standard. It's good to have people like yourself who remember your particular tractor from new and to share these differences with the rest of us. What a nice story to have driven the tractor into the tree at 6 yr old and now to be repairing that very damage, excellent stuff, it's what makes this site the best.

The front wheel rims on my 1960 Dexta are 16.

Barry

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Thanks for the tyre size info, have not seen any other pictures of tractors with the 19 inch rims.

I also have a question about the orange wheel colour, but will post another thread about that.

Thanks

Neil

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The 19'' wheels were the standard ones used on the tractor. the 16" ones were special order ones.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Well I just dont know about this front nose cone vertical decal now..

Spoke to another chap today, that used to be a local farm contractor, and he seems to think the front nose cone should have the vertical badge!

Ahhhhhh

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

My 59 dexta has a verticle badge down the front i also think it was the original as it took me alot of hours to rebuild as it was fubard and im not one to replace original with new if i can help it.

Regards
James

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Since most opinion seems to be that it would have had the vertical badge, on here, and from people here in Jersey, I questioned my father again.

He still does not remember ever replacing the nose cone or any tin work on it....but he did say he rolled the tractor on its side, before I was born. So maybe there was a new one fitted and he does not remember.
Guess we will never know for sure, unless I can find some early photos/slides of it. Will have to get up into the farm attic and see if I can find the old slides.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

According to the parts book, the front Dexta badge was fitted from 1957 to 1960 then changed to the bonnet badge. In 1963 it became a decal.

It took a while finding the details because it was not in the normal place inthe parts book where you would expect it.
Brian

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

so ours must have had a new cose cone that was not drilled. No one can remember it being done, but all evidence poitns to the fact that it would have had one.
I just welded up the holes and re sprayed the nose cone...bugger

Looks like I will have to do a bit more panel beating on it anyway to get the new front grilles to fit anyway. The new ones seem a lot thicker than the originals and donet want to flex enough to get them in.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

There was also a change to the wheatsheaf badge in October 1959.

It is interesting that the Dexta shell remained the same from 1957 to the end of production yet some must have had holes in for the badge in the early days. Perhaps the holes came in a seperate bag strapped to the side of the new shell :lol:
Brian

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

The bag of spare holes seems to be missing, I do have a spare foot plate though, I think I can modify some of the holes in that to fit.

Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

Post by Meanderer »

If the holes in the footplate are too large, you can try to cut one into smaller pieces. Just make sure you get a good colour match on the finished holes! :mrgreen:
'
Regards,
Rick

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Npaisnel,
Here's a picture of the badges on the front of my 1959 Dexta. Hope this gives you a look at what they are supposed to look like.
My wheat sheaf needs repainted, try to get to that this summer.
Best Regards
MarkImage
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer