1958 Dexta Restoration

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: 1958 Dexta Restoration

Post by Bensdexta »

If you look at the side cheeks, you can see the 'new' one on your tractor is different from the old one in your pic above.

I wouldn't worry about it, not many folk will notice, and so what if they do! Just a curiosity.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

If, as has been suggested the tractor is an early prototype, it is quite possible that the original nose cone was fashioned by hand. Once the tractors went into full production it was advantageous to fabricate the nose cone from four separate pressings. Also the dished side cheeks would stiffen the nose cone.

Gerald

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

I have noticed that later standard Dextas with the mechanical fuel pump (mid 1962?) have the slab-sided nose cones like Charlie's 'new' one. One imagines for common cheek pieces with the Super D.

Pneumatic pump Dextas have the earlier skinnier cheek pieces.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Thanks for the comments Ben and Tubal Cain.
I think that I may need to go to specsavers as I still cant see the difference. I take it from your comments that the earlier Dexta had thinner or not so pronounced side cheeks.
Ben I found a great way to fit my burfacated rivets as well. I opened up the legs with a long nosed pair of pliers, held a bolt head as a spacer onto to the rivet head and used a set of pipe pliers to bend and close down the legs of the rivets. It was a bit fiddly but with a bit of patience got them all done. I also got the upper dash plate and gasket fitted nice and neatly with a bit of trimming. Here is me expecting all replacement parts to fit as per original but thats obviously not the case so need to pay a bit more attention in future lol. Thanks for your help and advice again guys. :D

Burficated rivets fitted to the bonnet rubbers on the bonnet and radiator cowl.

Upper dash panel fitted.

New screws and speed clips for the upper dash panel. Just a bit of informaton in that the correct size of screws are Size 10 x 11/2" long and size 10 speedclips.

Last edited by charlie63 on Wed May 02, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

charlie63 wrote:I think that I may need to go to specsavers as I still cant see the difference. I take it from your comments that the earlier Dexta had thinner or not so pronounced side cheeks.
You'll kick yourself when you see it, like I did! The cheek pieces on the earlier nose cone has a curve at the top to align with the lower edge of the bonnet. The later ones which are bigger, don't.

I missed it too when I bought a 'new' 2nd hand cone. However my tractor is only 6months before the change over (which was about mid '62). Also I argue the later one is a bit safer as the fan is slightly better shielded.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Its all clear now Ben I can see the difference. To be quite honest I would never have spotted that. Ive noticed that the new nose cones that are for sale seem to be the same as the one I have fitted. Now that its painted and fitted its going to stay on the tractor but it will probably niggle me forever more lol.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

charlie63 wrote:Its all clear now Ben I can see the difference. To be quite honest I would never have spotted that. Ive noticed that the new nose cones that are for sale seem to be the same as the one I have fitted. Now that its painted and fitted its going to stay on the tractor but it will probably niggle me forever more lol.
Don't throw your old one away - it doesn't look that bad. Keep it as a future project. :D

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Tractor now turned round for the back end to be restored. Lift cover removed for total strip and rebuild as you will see in my other postings on the forum. Remaining panels trial fitted before painting. All remaining panels now painted in my new lined and insulated workshop. What a joy it is to work in a heated workshop. Hopefully get the tractor moved into it for completion next time home. Restoration has come to a stop again for another 4 weeks as im away on Tuesday back to Africa as I have to fund my restoration somehow and pay the bills.

Last edited by charlie63 on Tue May 01, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Thought it was time to give a wee update on the restoration now im home again for another 4 weeks.
Hydraulic pump removed to allow cleaning of the mesh intake hydraulic filter and the rear axle.

Righthand trumpet removed to allow replacement of the lower arm pin which was well worn and also allow the cleaning our of the rear diff.

Righthand trumpet refitted and brakes stripped/removed and half shaft removed for seal and bearing replacement.

Halfshaft ready for collar removal and then into my press for bearing removal.

Last edited by charlie63 on Tue May 01, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kiwimc
True Blue

Post by kiwimc »

Were you able to buy a new trumpet gasket, or did you make your own?

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

I purchased a trumpet gasket from Agriline but it required trimming to fit. Once trimmed I got my young lad to hold it in place on the trumpet as some of the bolt holes dont line up so as I could tap out the holes using my small ball pein hammer.

Regards
Charlie.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

A bit more progress done. Hydraulic lift all rebuilt. A huge thanks to Rob ( Dunggatherer) for the lift crosshaft, piston ram assembly and the lift arms and also to Brian for the offer of parts. All set up as per the instructions from the site and well greased so hopefully will last many years to come.

Home made lifting bracket so as it can be put into place with the engine crane saving my back.

Last edited by charlie63 on Tue May 01, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Gradually making progress. Lift cover installed back in the tractor.

D & H Fabrications special tool in place to remove the hub from the half shaft so as the hub seal and bearing can be replaced.

Hub stripped down and no visible markings or damage on the shaft where the seal runs which is a surprise given all the worn and damaged parts ive found during my restoration.

New seal and bearing in place. Just the retaining collar to heat and fit into place.

Last edited by charlie63 on Tue May 01, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Heating the retaining collar ready for fitting on the half shaft.

A lot of progress made this time home. Half shaft seals, outer seals and wheel bearings replaced. Half shafts refitted and shimmed. New oil in the back end and tractor has been started and hydraulics checked for oil leaks. Please tell me if I have fitted my arms wrong way round as it doesnt say in the workshop manual that they are sided. Back end paint has been removed and only small amount left to strip before painting. Brakes to rebuild on my return and that will be all the mechanical side completed.

Last edited by charlie63 on Tue May 01, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Charlie, well done chap I think/know you are doing a sterling job, keep it up.
Mervyn.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Thanks very much Mervyn. Im well happy with progress now and hopefully maybe manage to get it completed and take in a few vintage rallies and road runs before the end of the year if all goes to plan. It has certainly made a big difference having my own workshop now and be able to come and go as I please.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

A bit more progress made in the last week since I was banned from the workshop for the first 2 weeks when I first arrived home due to the good lady being off on holiday.
Brakes shoes relined, refitted and adjusted.

All remaining paint removed from the axle and brake drums ready for painting.

Removal of the 2 broken rearmost draw bar bolts. Attempt was made to drill them heat them and remove with an easy out but they just would not move. Ended up stepping up the drill size to 14mm and will rethread them slightly larger than they originally were.

All painted in etching primer.

After 2 coats of red oxide primer.

Last edited by charlie63 on Tue May 01, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

All nicely painted with 3 coats of Empire Blue. Work has now come to a stop again. Need to purchase new rear tyres and get the new rims painted and then fitted next time home and get everything bolted back on. :D

Last edited by charlie63 on Tue May 01, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

It was the big unveiling today. All covers and masking tape removed to see if the back end paint was a good match to the rest of the tractor. This was due to me running out of paint but Smith and Allen who supplied and matched the first batch of paint I purchased from them came good. I purchased a second batch of paint from them which was supposed to be the same but turned out to be a different shade. I sent them a panel which was painted with the first batch and they sent it to Germany to be matched by there supplier. They really went out there way to ensure I had the same paint as matched the first and there service was second to none. Well happy with the match. :D

Last edited by charlie63 on Tue May 01, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Rear most drawbar bolt holes finished off. The broken studs were drilled out stepping up the drill bit until finished off with a 14mm drill bit. They were then tapped out using a 5/8 BSF TAP as I didnt want to go too big as was unsure how much meat there actually was in the casting. Have ended up with great thread profile so shouldnt be a problem fitting a drawbar.

Last edited by charlie63 on Tue May 01, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Charlie, I see you are getting on very well with your restoration, well done. May I please ask you when you get back home again to post a photograph of the pin that is used to secure the rocker and yoke(control spring). For the life of me I have no recollection of what it looks like or where I have placed it. :x
If there are any other members who could please assist it would be greatly appreciated. Secondly I am wondering if any member that has used empire blue paint recently( a big please spray an A6 card and post it to me, I can get my address to whoever via a PM) so that I can get a similar colour matched in South Africa.
Thank you in anticipation.
Mervyn.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Mervyn,

Thanks for the comments. Im unsure which pin it is that you are needing a photograph of. Can you maybe explain in more detail. My lift is all built up and back on the tractor but will try and help as much as I can. I still have more painting to do at some point as well as I will have my lift arms etc to paint. If you are in no hurry I can easily paint something for you and send it to you for getting a match.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Charlie, thank you again for responding to my request and willing to help me. The part number is 352625-s8, item 30 on page 38 of the Ford, Fordson Dexta and Super Dexta 1957/64, Parts List. Has a Super Dexta picture on the page. I have googled the part number and it shows a picture of a clevis pin 3/4" x 3.14" which is exactly the measurement of the part in the parts list book(352625-s8. I have also measured the rocker with my vernier and get very close to that measurement. I want to go and see our local Sparex dealer tomorrow and see if they have one for me, however I have been thru there catalogue and it is not in it. I will let you know of the outcome this week Charlie. With regards the paint I see Sparex do sell the Empire Blue and Fordson/Allis Chalmers Orange. Again I will let you know of my successes. I am in no real hurry so can wait for you to get back home again Charlie.
Keep well
Kind regards
Mervyn

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Charlie, I was able to buy a clevis pin as per my need, but it is about 1 cm. too long. I can cut it to the required length should it bother me later. I had also forgotten that I have some blue paint left over from when I was having my steel work painted some 5 years ago. Although it is not empire blue I can have some of the left over paint matched and finish my job. I did find an orange which is called traffic orange that may serve me good.

Keep well and keep up the good work back home.
Mervyn

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Mervyn,
Glad you managed to get the clevis pin sorted out. I had the same problem when I fitted the new hydraulic cylinder rod. I had to reshape the head of it to the same as the original to get it to fit and then the original clevis pin wouldnt fit through so had to drill out the hole as well. The joys of buying replacement parts. With regards to your paint my workmate here in Angola lives just outside Capetown and has said if I bring down a painted part he will hand carry back to S.A. with him and post it to you from there if you need to get a match. Hopefully you will have enough paint to complete your job. You will need to post some pictures to let us see your progress as well.

All the best
Charlie.