1958 Dexta Restoration

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
charlie63
True Blue

Re: 1958 Dexta Restoration

Post by charlie63 »

Thanks a lot Mike. Glad I can be of help.
The grommets I purchased 5 of them from ukplasticparts on e-bay and cost £1.65 total with free postage.
The conduit is plastic corrugated and unsplit. I purchased from workshop_supplies on e-bay at a cost of £10.25 for 10 metres and free postage. They do a wide variety of either split or unsplit from 7mm to 21mm internal diameter.
I purchased 10 metres as I am hoping to use it to run the wires to the rear lights and number plate lamp through it as well.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Headlamp wiring all complete with the P clips in place and the earth wire /terminals fitted and earthed at the horn bracket. Just to get it all clipped in nice and tidy to complete that part and then get the bonnet fitted.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Engine bay wiring all complete now and clipped into place. Only the wiring at the dash to complete and connect all the switches.

Bonnet finally fitted and bolted in place. Seems so long ago since it was unbolted.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Wiring on dash all completed but think I may have inadvertently welded the points together on the control box so a new one has been ordered.

Dash all built up but will need to make up a blanking plate where the tachometer fits as this tractor has no drive on the injector pump for a cable.

Dashlights working but the oil lamp has stopped. Checked the wiring and bulb and all found to be okay. Fault seems to be with the oil pressure switch which isnt old so new one has been ordered. Work come to a standstill for another 4 weeks as needs must and bills have to be paid.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

New oil pressure switch fitted so the oil warning light is working again and all the wiring now complete with only the rear lights and number plate lamp to wire. Took the old girl out for a run today and gave her a wash and polish up.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

She is really looking beautiful Charlie well done. :clap:

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Thanks Mervyn. Well happy with how she has turned out. Was hoping to get to a few shows with her but they all seem to land when Im away.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Are those rubber mats you've got on the footplates - seems a good idea to prevent wearing out the paint.

Lovely job :D :D
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

It sure is Ben. I had a couple of old car floor mats lying about that I cut into the shape of the footplates and set them on to hopefully save wearing out the paint.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Awesome idea Charlie, have you been for any more drives?

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Thanks Mervyn. Ive been absent from the site as I was away on holiday and had no internet access. Ive not had a chance to get out for any more runs on her yet but I am hoping to get to a vintage rally in August on my next time home. :) :)

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Finally managed to get all the wiring to the sidelamps and my ploughing lamp ( not that I will be ploughing in the dark lol ) completed so that is the restoration now complete.
I made up a pipe from 10mm copper fuel pipe to run the wire through along the side of the gear change and lift cover to the rear and made up retaining brackets from steel strip. Used 10mm O.D. corrugated plastic piping from behind the dash to the copper pipe and sealed together with shrink sleeving to stop water ingress. I ran the wiring through the same plastic piping to either sidelamp up through the mudguard strengtheners. The joins in the wiring were all solder jointed and sealed with shrink sleeving and tucked neatly behind the number plate.

Copper piping all painted before fitting.

Corrugate piping from behind the dash to the copper piping.

Corrugate piping running to each side and the wiring joint behind the number plate.

Wiring tucked neatly behind the number plate.

Ploughing lamp fitted.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Charlie, congratulations on you completed restoration :clap: , very creative ideas you can be proud lad.
E-mail to follow soon.

Mervyn.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Thanks Mervin. It's taken a bit of time but we'll happy how its turned out and thought with posting progress and how I've done certain things that other people may be able to use them during their restorations. :beer:

4x4bobby
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by 4x4bobby »

All the photos look great and this forum is a wealth of knowledge! Thanks!!!!!!!!

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Hi, Charlie 63,
looks like you have been a busy man. I like the way things have gone on for your Blue darling. She's looking smart and almost ready to go out in the fields. Like I told you this will be the last time you see her that way unless you are going to show her a lot. I've still not changed the hydraulic clutch in mine. I got her out of the garage I keep her in and didn't know if she would fire up or not, but she cranked over after about four turns and then she came alive. Wow was I pleased with that. My grandson has come to visit for a week, I may get him to help me brake her down. There's a place about 17 miles from my house that rebuilds clutches. I've already talked to them and they told me to bring them the old clutch and they would repair it.
Once again your blue girl is looking good.
See ya
Mark
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Charlie,
I trust that you are not burning up in the east. Can you please tell me what piping you used under the dash panel on top of the fuel tank also the dash panel with all the switches on.
Mervyn.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

4x4 Bobby thanks for your comments.

Mark thanks for your comment. Glad to hear your tractor fired up no problem. Hopefully you've managed to get your clutch sorted out.

Mervyn,
The seal I used that your referring to I purchased from ebay. It was just a small black U channel trim seal 6mms x 3 mm. It is sold in metre lengths and was cheap to buy. Below is the link.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Small-BLACK- ... 1756249787?
It's damn hot out here in Dubai at the moment and sweating buckets and can't wait to get back to nice cool U.K. and my tractor. :beer:

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

I've heard that the people of Dubai don't like The Flintstones, but those in Abu Dhabi do....

I'm here all week
1959 Dexta
I'm not retired just re-deployed

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Charlie, so far no luck with my edging but that is not urgent for now, was just doing some nosing around. Thank you for the link though.

Take care, I hope you are using plenty of sunscreen?

Mervyn.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Good one Mike :D :D

No problem Mervyn. Making sure I spend plenty of time in my air con office. :D

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Charlie, I hope all is going okay.
I'm busy trying to adjust my brakes currently with the left wheel brake. I have tried to follow the description in the w/shop manual and also another setup procedure from another source, but no go I must be missing the plot somewhere. I have my hand brake( left hand side type) temp connected and awhile ago wondered if that could be gremlin. May have to adjust the hand brake only once the foot peddles are adjusted. I noticed unless I missed it that you did not cover your brakes in restoration.
Mervyn.

4x4bobby
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by 4x4bobby »

Hi Charlie.just let you know my old girl is now complete as well. Took her to her first show August 3rd. Got a lot of interest from people asking how long it took and how much did it cost what's she worth???? Had to laugh as she's not worth how much I spent!!!!!!! :D
Sadly I can't upload pictures. If you have an email address I would send you a couple!
Just to say again great looking tractor you have done!!!! :clap:
Rob

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Rob,
Well done on getting your project completed and to your first show. With me moving positions and to a different country my rotation has been all to pot and sadly I've missed all the shows so far this year. I was hoping to show mine at The Tractor World Show at Ingliston earlier in the year but sadly missed that too. I'm in the same boat as you in that the tractor is worth less than what I've spent on it but it's just the sheer enjoyment and satisfaction of completing a project and seeing the interest that it brings from the public that makes it all worthwhile. Hopefully see some pics of it soon. There are posts on the forum as to how to post pics but if you have difficulty let me know and I can talk you through it as it's a simple process.
My email address is c.davidson44@yahoo.co.uk.
Thanks for the comments.

Regards
Charlie.

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

Hi Charlie
Hope the new rotation is going ok, what do you do over there? I've now joined our local Vintage Association and have road runs and ploughing matches in my diary with the first road run 27th Oct so I need to be road legal. I've taxed her and now need to fit a new number plate so I've bought new plate holders but how did you fix your plates as I don't see any bolts? Did you use double sided tape?

Next step is to learn how to plough
:yeah:

cheers

Mike
1959 Dexta
I'm not retired just re-deployed