Number plate bracket, and rear lamp cable routing

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
npaisnel
True Blue

Number plate bracket, and rear lamp cable routing

Post by npaisnel »

1) Any one tell me if the rear number plate, if fitted above the PTO, had two brackets or just the one?

There is one bracket on the RHS to also hold the number plate light, and possible a second bracket to support the plate on the other side of the casing. Just wonder if this was originally there or if there was just one bracket.

2) Also, where does the number plate light wire route and connect to the rear light wire?
I have a large portion of the remaining metal tube that carried the wire forward, but it is cut short where it looks like it was damaged by ..the automatic trailer pickup lift rod...

3) What is the correct routing of the black conduit for the rear lights?
I have it dropping down from the electrics 'box' under the steering, through the hole in the gearbox casing, then where? under the foot plate brackets? over the top?
How / where did the back conduit terminate? Was it clamped to the casing some where or did it continue up and in to to the mud guard bracket?

All little things, but since i am doing it , it would be nice to put it in the 'correct' place
If any one finds any of my pictures of interest, please do right click and Save Them to your computer as soon as possible.
I host my pictures on my own server and since this site does not save images, they may not always be available,

Wee59dexta
True Blue

Re: Number plate bracket, and rear lamp cable routing

Post by Wee59dexta »

Hi. There are two brackets on my 1959 Dexta. One on the right to hold the light aswell and one on the left. I'm not sure about the cabling. I did mine under the left hand foot plate and joined it their to the rear lights wires which i ran down the inside of both wings.

npaisnel
True Blue

Re: Number plate bracket, and rear lamp cable routing

Post by npaisnel »

Thanks for that. It occurred to me this morning that there must be two, since as you say the RH one is different in that it holds the number plate light.

I bought a supposedly OEM old stock part of a new lamp (£85) ..about 8 years ago, and never gave it more than a cursory glance. Looked at it this mornign to fit it, and see it looks more like a re conditioned one. and it had been wired with the horid blue / red grip type connectors..yuk. It did not have the correct internals either..but luckily my old one, despite the external being rusted to bit, the lamp holder was perfect, so it got cut out and fitted in to the new tin work. All good now, including the steel conduit coming out the back..OK, so i used Copper brake pipe to re make, rather than steel brake pipe, so to a purist, not 100% 'Factory' ...I guess I did not use original factory bullet crimps either :shock: :P

Thanks
If any one finds any of my pictures of interest, please do right click and Save Them to your computer as soon as possible.
I host my pictures on my own server and since this site does not save images, they may not always be available,