Number plate light renewal..a few pics

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
npaisnel
True Blue

Number plate light renewal..a few pics

Post by npaisnel »

About 4 years ago I bought an allegedly N.O.S.rear number plate lamp. I had a vague look at it , but no more..£85, but I wanted an original new part

Well when I looked at it, it was a " reconditioned " OEM part, by the look of it, but not renewed as I wanted it.
They had used a different lamp holder to mine, it was two wire and had modern blue/ red chip wires..so it had to be re built.

Luckily , my grandfathers 1959 Dexta, still had the remnants of the original lamp fitted, and the remains of a piece of steel conduit taking the single black power feed wire backwards along the rear axle. The trailer hitch lift rod had crushed it, so I do not know how far back this wire originally went, and where the wire originally terminates and joins to the side lamp wiring.

The number plate lamp bracket was also a bit bent and rusted away, but again luckily I had a spare of these, so a bit of drilling of the spot welds, grinning and re welding soon had a a new bracket again.

On 'opening ' the original lamp unit I found that the lamp holder was in immaculate condition, and the original bulb still worked :)
The original lamp holder has a sprung loaded terminal for the wire, a sleeve over the top, and a rubber grommet in side the boot to hold the protective steel conduit. I re made the conduit with copper brake pipe, copying the flare and bends from the original steel pipe.
I extracted the original lamp unit from the old base and installed in to the 'new' unit.

Sorry for the poor quality of some of the iPhone pictures, but at least they show what I am 100% certain are original parts and wire routing in the case of the steel conduit for the lamp wire.

OK, yes, also poor quality hand paint job. At this point I am not doing a restoration, to concourse condition, I am only repairing and replacing as much as I can, with as many original parts as I can. If I ever get a chance in the future, once the old girl is 'complete' with all working parts, I may then do a strip and re paint, knowing I have no mechanical repairs to do.

Original 1959 lamp unit

Another unit showing sleeve over wiring and spring unit

Original holder extracted, it is press fit with 'centre punch ' in to he holder holes

The 'new old stock' unit I received, with different lamp holder, with different boot and blue crimp connectors

Pair of lamp brackets, fortunately they had both rusted out in different places..so a bit of drilling, welding, flatting and painting had a new one made out of the two.

Showing the new conduit and positioning of boot, grommet and pipe

My old original lamp holder fitted to the 'new' holder. All checked for continuity. For aded 'electrical security in future, I also flowed solder into the gap between the holder and the base unit, and confirmed near on zero ohms between body and base unit threads.
If you have not come across ACF50 , yet, I highly recommend it. Good for electric and keep corrosion at bay. Sprayed liberally around the interior before re assembly. Also all threads well copper slipped

You can see the conduit clamp and the routing of it in these pictures, But I am not sure how far along the axle the original steel pipe extended...any one know?

If any one finds any of my pictures of interest, please do right click and Save Them to your computer as soon as possible.
I host my pictures on my own server and since this site does not save images, they may not always be available,

ianpdexta
True Blue

Re: Number plate light renewal..a few pics

Post by ianpdexta »

Thanks for posting these pictures :clap:

I know how much work it can be.

My 1963 Super Dexta doesn't seem to have any sign of number plate or brackets. Were they all like yours? I seem to think that some had the plate on the RH side Mud guard. I did a quick google image search and while there are not many rear view images (Tractors that is) I saw non with a number plate like yours. While on that subject does anyone know if we are required to display a number at the front? some have and some haven't.

PS your conduit looks like copper pipe, good choice for forming into shape and easily available.

Regards

Ian

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

No idea if they were all like mine or not.

We never had an actual plate on ours, the number used to be painted on the diff housing between the mounting brackets .
None of ours had wing mounted either, and the front on ones here in jersey, I only ever saw them painted on the from too, below the grille. As to if it is needed on the front or not, I guess checking your countries local regs is the only way to know for sure.

Yes, i did use coper pipe rather than steel to re make the conduit, so not 100 % original..but I did not have any steel pipe to hand, otherwise i'd have probably been bloody minded enough to have used that
If any one finds any of my pictures of interest, please do right click and Save Them to your computer as soon as possible.
I host my pictures on my own server and since this site does not save images, they may not always be available,

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Thank you Neil, you have done a good job there and opended a can of worms for me, I pictured that bracket an easy project to make up but with my lack of skils and tools it could be a challenge :cry:

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

I am sure with a few pics and measurements you would easily find a local metal worked to knocking up for you

I see you are in SA..where about?

I am in Jersey now, the island, not USA..but spent time in and around Jo'burg, Midrand and later up in Uganda and the Congo ...

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Neil, I am a thourough breb Natalian, have lived in Pietermaritburg for the last 50 odd years. We have now bought in a retirement village up in Howick just 30 minutes north of PMB. Thanks for asking :) .

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi folk
Just by coincidence I went to the Somerset Tractor show yesterday here in the UK.
There were three Dexta's there and I took photographs of the number plates on them for Mervyn!
I can't provide the photo's as I don't have a host but if you message me your email address I will email then to you. They look similar to Niel's brackets.
Regards
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

send me the pics and i can put them up
i’d like to see them too
I will send you my email in a private message

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Or see this thread

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5024&p=53955#p53955

A quick update on how to post pictures nowadays:

Some people on the board are using http://postimage.org with good results so far.

Here is how it works:
You can make an account on the website, so you can create your own album. This allows you to add or remove pictures when ever you need to. It is possible to use the website without an account, but you won't be able to alter your pictures.

1) chose size 800x600 (15inch monitor)
2) then chose the files you want to upload
3) Copy the code in the "Hotlink for forums" box
4) Paste the code in the message box together