Correct front wheels

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
npaisnel
True Blue

Correct front wheels

Post by npaisnel »

I have a selection of wheel around the farm, dont know which ones to put new tyres on. Can you look at the pics below and tell me which are the Dexta wheels. Is it the sort with 3 round holes? or 4 square holes? or the one with no holes?

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

i would say the bottom photo as they are the same as what i have fitted on my 1959 dexta as far as i know they are original.

Regards
James

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Thanks

have been looking round at a few other pages, and they all seem to have that sort as well, so that must be the ones.

Any one know what the others are from? MF maybe?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The grey ones are Fergerson by the look of them. Do not recognise any of the rear wheels though.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Thanks Brian, they are all front wheels though, no rears there at all.

First is same type as fourth picture,

Second is same as last picture

Third picture is the one I only have one of, solid disc with no holes cut out at all....apart from axle and wheel studs.

The last two are the pair (NOT MATCHING) that are fitted to the tractor at the moment.

Thanks

Neil

Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

Post by Meanderer »

G'day Neil,

I thought you'd have had lots of Dexta owners pointing you in the right direction. Seeing they must all be on holidays, I thought I'd research for you.
According to the Dexta Parts Book I'd say it was the 4 Square holed wheels. BUT when I've searched through many images of Dextas I can only find a couple that showthe front wheels side on! When I look at those images, the 4 square holes appear to me to be further out toward the rim than on yours. I'll leave that for your judgement.
Here are two images. Large is from Oscars's Fordson Album on this site and the second is a portion of an image I found, cropped and enlarged it.

'
Regards,
Rick

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

looks like you are right there. I had been looking for photos also, but could not find much to show the wheels clearly enough either.

I am not doing a full restoration on this tractor, just tidying up a bit and trying to get all the original bits back on it. We have had it since new, and it has not had any work done on it until no, so I know it is all original. It is just things like wheels that have been swapped round various farm tractors over the years that would have been changed many times. The originals may still be with us, or could have got sold on other tractors when we sold a few 10 years ago.

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Npaisnel,
That's the ones that are on my Dexta, be sure you clean all the rust off the inside where the tube goes. If it's rusty and you don't remove it, you will be taking it back off soon, and fixing your flat tire.
I sand blasted mine, but if you don't have access to a blaster, then I would use 41/2 grinder with a wire brush on it. Be sure you use safety glasses.
Regards
Mark
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Thanks Mark, which ones do you mean are one yours? on of my pics, or the pics on the post above from Meanderer.

Meanderer, just a thought on the spacing of the square holes, maybe the holes are the same space from the centre, but my rims are 19 inch and the others are 16 inch. Will need to check. The earlier ones probably had 19 inch rims, later ones 16 inch. We always used to use second hand landrover tyres on our other Dexta, MF, or Ford 2WD tractors, all rims had same spacing and were 16 inch.
The square holes will have ben the same spacing to bolt on wheel weights etc, ?? does that work as a theory? thing it does

Neil

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Npaisnel
Here's some pictures of my tractor rims. Here's a picture of my new finish mower. In case you are wondering what that silver and blue thing is close to the battery, it's a A ugggggggggggga horn. This belonged to my Dad, I put it on my tractor after he past away, to remember me of him when I'm doing some mowing etc.
Best Regards
Mark

See ya
Mark

Stefan
True Blue

Post by Stefan »

Yeah, I like the Ahooga-Horn. I think it reminds me of a TV-soap I saw every sunday in TV, called "The Waltons" :D

Here's soundtrack on the internet:
http://www.ahooga-graphics.com/images/ahooga.wav

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Thanks Mark,
Nice tractor.
Like the horn

Neil

Jos Cuypers
True Blue

Post by Jos Cuypers »

Have the same rimms as Mark and as on the pictures Meanderer linked to =>

Rgds
Jos

My dexta has 32 Horse power, but a donkey behind the steering wheel.

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Jos,
You have a very beautiful baby, she looks like she's going to make a Fordson girl, in the future.
Regards
Mark
See ya
Mark

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

She is!! She is a lady!! That's my girl friend but don't tell Ann!! I have a signed piece of art AND a special photo. :)
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Brian,
She is a pretty thing, she may grow up to win many beauty pageants.
I promise I won't tell Ann anything. HE HE.
Regards
Mark
See ya
Mark

Jos Cuypers
True Blue

Post by Jos Cuypers »

Sara (laughing queen) is no longer a baby. The picture is already 5 years old... She is (as Brian wrote) becoming a lady of 7 years now..
Rgds
Jos

My dexta has 32 Horse power, but a donkey behind the steering wheel.

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Jos,
She is a beautiful young lady, by baby is 29 now, and she has a beautiful young lady herself my granddaughter. I'll send some pictures soon so you can see.
See ya
Mark