Dexta hydraulics lift help please

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
fredthedog
Not Quite Blue Yet

Dexta hydraulics lift help please

Post by fredthedog »

Hiya fellow Dexta fans, welcome your thoughts and advice on my lift.

Work/progress to date, note I've never actually witnessed the lift fully working, only partially!

I have done and status so far.....
- removed hydraulic top (twice) first time tried to adjust the lift settings (made a tool similar to instructions): no joy. Second time remade/turned the 'pin' that frequently wears (control valve actuating lever??? Itwas very worn/ridged).
- readjusted again.
- Hydraulic filter changed, fluid changed and level checked, I've also checked there is output from the pump (loosened threaded bolt on the cover plate of the pump and cranked engine: oil is forced out.
:o :o
So, when I looked at the cover when removed all looked OK (I didn't remove any valves/restrictors)

On to symptoms then....
When at rest with control lever is fully up, the position control/qualitrol lever isn't horizontal, but dropped around 1/3 way down.
With control lever fully down, the qualitrol lever moves up about a 1/6 of the way.

Also if I open the aux services valve, I get the smallest dribble of oil, nothing really.

There is no difference to the above if the engine is running or not. This still doesn't work.

Welcome your thoughts, I did consider:
- levers still misadjusted?
- issues with valves in hydraulic cover
- hydraulic pump pressure release valve?
- back pressure valve under hydraulic filter issue?

Welcome thoughts and advice, I'll prob have another go at the hydr cover !!

Many thanks and happy Dexta-ing!! N

:) :)
trying to fix the father in law's Dexta!

shawnee
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Dexta hydraulics lift help please

Post by shawnee »

? intake o ring gasket ? return pressure relief valve? seals in the hydraulic pump? :scratchhead:

fredthedog
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fredthedog »

Thanks Shawnee

I hope to revisit the tractor in the coming weeks and will advise/investigate your suggestions.

I've had the top/flow control assembly off, and have been trying to remove the 'flow control valve', however i can't remove the cap that is held in place with the roll pin. Any ideas anyone??

Also some posts/forums suggest the 'diverter valve' may be an issue? Is this in the same (smaller) casting as the Dexta flow control valve, or is this more commonly known as the 'unload valve' ??? (I think I'll have to investigate the unload valve too!)

Regards and a Happy Christmas to all

N

fredthedog
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fredthedog »

Hi fellow Dexta fans

Thought I'd share my findings on the fixed lift, I used info from this forum and a variety of other area and all now good

1. Check the lift height control pin (this wears on the cam), mine had worn, however rather than replace I removed mine, re inserted it with worn side away from the cam

2. I reset the clearances and settings (as per the forum), however some settings from Brian for 0.5" clearance with position lever 0.5" from the stop with selector in Qualitrol

3. As arms wouldn't lift, pump output seemed OK, main problem was a stuck unload valve: solution was to withdraw the plug (I used washers/socket and a unf bolt) then carefully pushed out unload valve, carefully cleaned and also changed the o-ring

Re-assembled etc

So lift now working and even doesn't drop overnight

More info to follow!!!! Now to sort handbrake, induction, paint, difflock etc

Regards Nigel

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Do you happen to know what sort of PSI you are getting at the aux service valve?

I had a gauge on mine today, and it hits about 1400 then drops to 800. Seems very low.
I am asking becsuse, with weight on the lift arms ( transport box). hydraulics don't lift.
If any one finds any of my pictures of interest, please do right click and Save Them to your computer as soon as possible.
I host my pictures on my own server and since this site does not save images, they may not always be available,