My First Tractor

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
American
Not Quite Blue Yet

My First Tractor

Post by American »

Hello, I just bought my first tractor ever...so exited! It's a Fordson Dexta Diesel circa 1959 I believe.

It runs and functions very well, makes a little smoke but this is occasional use anyway so I'm not so concerned for now. I just want to use it with my PTO wood chipper and clear manzanita from my Shark.

My first question is regarding color. This is an "export" tractor, in that I live in California and this tractor is in the states. It has a blue with grey tin/wheels color scheme. Anyone have thoughts on if this is the correct color scheme for American export models circa 1959?

I have the best regards, nobody has better regards, just ask anyone, my regards are YUGE!
American, Pioneer California, USA

1959 Fordson Dexta (Diesel)

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Re: My First Tractor

Post by kiwiland dexta »

Hi American and congrats on your new friend!
Sure you will find this forum as useful as I did - make sure you post your serial numbers/manufacturing codes in the database!
There are plenty of threads here about colours - (search "paint") while there may have been variations the scheme was essentially the same worldwide.
Manual is on this site, parts easily available and someone here will be able to answer just about anything!
Looks like you have the down-swept exhaust? Any history on the tractor's past?

Don't be amazed at the word "Shark" that appears - it is a quirk of the site that transposes p r o p e r t y with shark!

Derek.
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

American
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by American »

kiwiland dexta wrote:Hi American and congrats on your new friend!
Sure you will find this forum as useful as I did - make sure you post your serial numbers/manufacturing codes in the database!
There are plenty of threads here about colours - (search "paint") while there may have been variations the scheme was essentially the same worldwide.
Manual is on this site, parts easily available and someone here will be able to answer just about anything!
Looks like you have the down-swept exhaust? Any history on the tractor's past?

Don't be amazed at the word "Shark" that appears - it is a quirk of the site that transposes p r o p e r t y with shark!

Derek.
I noticed the spelling change, what's the explanation for Shark as a replacement for proeprty?

The tractor came with owners manual, electrical service manual, service manual and an engine gasket set. Other than that I didn't get a history on the tractor, I purchased it from someone like me, who is the umpteenth owner of this tractor.
I have the best regards, nobody has better regards, just ask anyone, my regards are YUGE!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Welcome to the board, I tried to answer some of your questions on YT but for some reason the posts would not all show up and the pictures would not display. We do work with YT on here as they send us any queries they have problems with on Fordson tractors.

Neither I nor Oscar can answer the "shark" question. The site is Dutch in origin and it contains "bad language" filters, for some reason the word p r o p e r t y sets them off. Over the years Oscar has tried to sort it so now we just live with it.

Serial Number on the clutch housing flange.

Casting code on clutch housing.

Casting code on gearbox housing.

Casting code on rear axle, You may have to climb underneath on the brake side to find it.

Casting code on Hydraulic lift.

Casting code on left rear trumpet housing.

Casting code on right rear trumpet housing.

It would be good if you could post a picture of the injection pump to help date her.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

American
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by American »

Attempting a Flickr photo embed here of the injection Pump, as requested. If this works, I'll go snap a few more pics.

ImageIMG_3498 by CASEY, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3497 by CASEY, on Flickr

American
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by American »

OK, that worked, so on to more pics;

Engine Block, left side;
ImageIMG_3505 by CASEY, on Flickr

Pretty much unreadable engine/bell housing numbers;
ImageIMG_3504 by CASEY, on Flickr
ImageIMG_3503 by CASEY, on Flickr

H3C on the hydraulic housing;
ImageIMG_3502 by CASEY, on Flickr

H10C on the left axle housing;
ImageIMG_3501 by CASEY, on Flickr

H9C on the right axle housing;
ImageIMG_3500 by CASEY, on Flickr

H5C on the gearbox;
ImageIMG_3499 by CASEY, on Flickr

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

From the pump and all those codes she is an original 1959 tractor built probably in July 1959. Here in Europe she would have been all Empire blue with orange wheels and silver grills. Later tractor from around 1962 were painted as your is for export to the US and were also badged Ford 2000.

With a tractor that original restore her sympathetically, she is an old lady nearly 60 years old and they don't always look good when "tarted up". Mind you, like a lot of old ladies, she could outlast you if handled carefully. :D :D :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

American
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by American »

So it should be Blue, blue tins, orange wheels, silver grille?

I'm actually an automotive painter by trade, though I try to stay away from cars anymore. Nowadays I sand blast and paint ag equipment. Hay Squeezes, hay trailers, etc. I'd probably just shoot it up in Imron, I can get whatever color I need. Is there a pretty common paint code, PPG or Dupont(Axalta) product code I can use? Nothing on my tractor is orange, or silver, so I don't even have a basis to match from, so product codes would be most useful.

American
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by American »

American wrote:So it should be Blue, blue tins, orange wheels, silver grille?

I'm actually an automotive painter by trade, though I try to stay away from cars anymore. Nowadays I sand blast and paint ag equipment. Hay Squeezes, hay trailers, etc. I'd probably just shoot it up in Imron, I can get whatever color I need. Is there a pretty common paint code, PPG or Dupont(Axalta) product code I can use? Nothing on my tractor is orange, or silver, so I don't even have a basis to match from, so product codes would be most useful.
Quoting myself here, I keep searching over SearchTempest, which will search every craigslist and ebay listing in the United States, and not a single Dexta has orange wheels, or orange anything for that matter. Just trying to focus on ones that appear original. The most universal color scheme I see is blue with gray wheels and gray rear fenders. Gray engine tins like mine are not represented, but mine has been repainted so it's no way to judge.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Ever since the early 1950's Fordson Major E1A range and the Dexta range have been painted Empire Blue and Fordson Orange in Europe up until 1963 when the colours changed to a slightly lighter blue and grey wheels and rear mudguards. Tractors exported to the US however were painted grey tin work and wheels with blue castings.

Quite a few orange wheeled versions did escape over the pond however as this picture, from another member shows.

Brian

shawnee
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by shawnee »

this is what I like for a color scheme

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b42 ... nfbp3f.jpg

bhayden
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by bhayden »

Recently bought a Dexta here State Side. It, like the vast majority over here is blue with "white" wheels.

I did go out and look at another one listed on Craigslist that was the "european" color scheme:
Image1963 Dexta (Snohomish)
See pictures of mine here, Flickr

I have lots of questions regarding operation and maintenance and will start a new thread. But if anyone could provide the link to where I enter the VIN info into the database that would be appreciated.

Greatings from Old Elm, home of the Bellevuey Hillbillies :lol:

bhayden
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by bhayden »

Just ran across another tidbit regarding differences in export paint schemes:
1961-'64 Fordson Super Major
In addition to different badges, the U.S. version sported a gray hood in place of the blue hood used on the tractors sold elsewhere in the world.
That could explain why the hood (er, I mean bonnet :wink: ) on mine got painted a different blue if the original gray was in need of a refresh. As far as the badge, mine looks like this:
Image0813171318 by Alden_Sloe, on Flickr
I know it's hard to see with all the rust but the models I've seen in the US are like this. The badge in the Hemmings article (European?) has red paint in the background and accents.

-Bernie

bhayden
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by bhayden »

The tractor came with owners manual, electrical service manual, service manual and an engine gasket set.
American,
My Dexta came with the shop manual and I ordered a reprint of the owners manual online. I've also downloaded a copy of the exploded parts list. I wasn't aware of an electrical service manual and can't find any reference online. Any chance you could scan in copies? Or maybe someone can point me to where one can be obtained.
-Bernie

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Bernie,

If you look on this section of the Forum just above this posting you will see a post for Stefans Workshop Manual Link. The workshop manual is there to download FREE and there are also links for the remainder of the manual including the electrical section. This is the one I downloaded and it is fantastic. There are also links on the site for a parts manual. This site is fantastic with a wealth of guys full of knowledge and helpfullness on all things Ford and Fordson and has been a god send many times on queries whilst restoring my Dexta.

bhayden
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by bhayden »

Charlie,
I have an original Workshop Manual in the black spiral bound binder. I've also downloaded the online version. Section 9 is the Electrical System and figure 15 (Wiring Diagram) may be all I need. From the OP I was wondering if there was yet another reference for just the electrical system.
-Bernie

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Bernie,
Section 9 of the workshop manual covering the electrical system covers everything you should need to know about the electrics on the tractor and its a pretty basic system. It even covers the overhaul of the starter motor, dynamo and the regulator. If you happen to get stuck with something if you post your query then I am sure someone will answer it for you. Looks like you have picked up a cracking Dexta.

Regards,
Charlie.

American
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by American »

Necro Post Alert!

I'm back, been getting a lot of great use out of the ole girl for the past few years, pretty trouble free until lately. She's starting to smoke a lot more, occasionally runs on two cylinders and loses power...like, can't get up a hill losing power, can't keep the wood chipper spinning with nothing in it losing power, and is knocking a bit extra. With the smoke, oil leaks, and general old age, I'm thinking it's time to start tearing it down and doing a rebuild.

I've downloaded the shop manual, but I haven't started yet. Figured I'd pop in here first and see if anyone has some "The manual doesn't tell you this, but here's some things you should be aware of before you begin" sorts of things.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Your injectors may need attention, other than that try to stop as many leaks as you can the easy way (ensure everything is nice and tight). A damaged air hose or diaphragm can also cause this, leave the injectors until everything else has been sorted.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

American
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by American »

Billy26F5 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:29 pm
Your injectors may need attention, other than that try to stop as many leaks as you can the easy way (ensure everything is nice and tight). A damaged air hose or diaphragm can also cause this, leave the injectors until everything else has been sorted.
Sandy
Yep, I intend to send the injectors and the pump out to be serviced by someone a lot smarter and more experienced than myself.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I suggested the other stuff in case it saves you the huge bill you'll have doing the pump, but it is well worth doing.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

Before any dismantling and reconditioning of parts, make sure that fuel is flowing freely throughout the system.

The symptoms could well indicate fuel starvation.

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

Agree with Old Hywel, first place to check is the outlet from the fuel tank. Turn off the tap, disconnect the pipe, turn it back on. It should give a full flow of fuel.

American
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by American »

This is something I did somewhat recently, earlier this year IIRC, as it did the whole power loss before, and I pulled the fuel petcock and found it was clogged, and missing any screen. So I cleaned it out, installed a new screen and put it all back together. She's been running fine ever since, until recently it's doing it again, only this time with lots of smoke and knocking, not to mention the oil leaks. Looks like the rear main leaks pretty badly.

I have to admit I always start it with ether in the winter, for plowing snow. I didn't even know there was a heating element to heat the fuel for that purpose, as pretty much nothing electrical works, even the starter switch is rigged through the horn button, none of the gauges function.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Sounds like you have a lot of electrical work to do. Here's the manual for that: http://www.smallholderservices.co.uk/si ... electrical. You might have the early regulator with five terminals, but the main diagram is the same.
Don't use ether, it ruins the engine and gives you a very expensive overhaul (and a large bill on ether too, as it needs ever more of it). Use the heater as specified in the Dexta instruction book, if that doesn't work in the cold the engine will probably need an overhaul. It will need a few turns in very cold conditions.
Sandy
ImageImageImage