Big starter problem

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
MyDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Big starter problem

Post by MyDexta »

Ok.. bare with me.
Tried to start tractor...would not engage. This had happened several times before..always ended up finally engaging
So I Jiggled and tried over and over..
Finally it engaged but would not disengage and I jerked it back up.
I tried again and could only get the starter to spin..
I took off the starter.. and took the lever out of the starter to check for broken parts..all springs were intact and I choked for proper movement.. it had full range of motion... I can only think that something else in the start housing has come aprt...
One other issue.. I changed out the ignition switch and tried again with some jumper cables..
The polarity seemed to change and the starter would spin even when the lever was not engaged

Ideas?

I can't really test it except on a bench cuz my Dexta is 300 miles away.

Bluebilly
True Blue

Re: Big starter problem

Post by Bluebilly »

There is a clutch arrangement in the starter and this may have failed. I had a problem early this year where the starter would engage, but just spin without turning the flywheel - I got it refurbished and now all is good - maybe you have the same fault. The polarity doesn't really matter on these starters they will work positive of negative earth.
1948 E27N
1958 Dexta
Roadless 75
TEF 20
MF135 multipower
MF 165
MF 240
SAME Solar 60

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Sounds like the solenoid if the starter spins without pressing the lever down.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

I tested mine by simulating the starting process on the bench. first running jump leads from the battery +ve to starter casing and battery -ve to the starter terminal. I then ran a crocodile clip lead from the battery to the starter switch and finally clamped the mechanical switch shut with a large spring crocodile clamp.

If all is well then the starter spins and shoots out (make sure the starter motor is strapped to a bench as the vibration and jolt may cause damage - to itself and stuff around it - not to mention your heart...). When refitting to the tractor if the starter spins but doesn't engage I'd put my shirt on it being the solenoid. Did you get any smoke coming from it? I toasted my solenoid after trying to start a stuck engine, miraculously the bag of spanners repro starter somehow, and rather sadly, survived.
1959 Dexta
I'm not retired just re-deployed

MyDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MyDexta »

I can't recall if there was smoke or not.
I was mainly focused on why the starter would spin without the lever depressed.
I wanted to chase down the short so I removed the starter and solenoid ( it was mounted separately on firewall--is that the Noid we are referring too?) My 67 mustang has one just like it mounted on the passenger fenderwell)
I'll try to bench test starter...used to have fun with that as a youngster working on Chevy Corvair motors....
Does anyone know someone that works on these starters in NC ...just in case I need it?

brownsmule
True Blue

Post by brownsmule »

Hello MyDexta // where are you in NC // I am in rowan county in case I could be of help to you // Sometimes my starter does not disengage so I just turn the switch OFF and that cures the immediate problem // I have a parts Dexta // brownsmule in Mooresville NC USA

MyDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MyDexta »

Work in Statesville.. live in Advance, near Winston-Salem

brownsmule
True Blue

Post by brownsmule »

Hello MyDexta // give me a call or email IF I can be of help // 7046641717 and perbro@windstream.net // Best Regards brownsmule Mooresville adrs in Rowan County

MyDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MyDexta »

Hey.. yeah..I PMd u awhile ago... I'll email u soon...mine is tareece at a0ldot comm