axle drain plug

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
spike
True Blue

axle drain plug

Post by spike »

hi i am having problems geting drain plug out of rear axle
in the past someone has had a go and rounded the shoulders off, is there a tool made to fit square (male) sump plug about 15mm or has any one got tips on geting it out
i have heated it with blow touch taped and bashed it and if it is true made the shoulders worse.
i am at the point of welding a bar to the plug to see if i can do it that way
any tips will be welcome

regards
spike

sky blue
True Blue

Re: axle drain plug

Post by sky blue »

i had same problem , i got a bit of flat iron and drilled a hole in it , then
filed it square to size, it didnt take to long file just keep checking on plug size as you go.
good luck :D

spike
True Blue

Post by spike »

thank you,
i have found on line a old sump spanner and it has a 15mm square hole so fingers crossed it may fit, but i have got some 5mm flat bar so i can try it if the spanner dose not work

simon

Bluebilly
True Blue

Post by Bluebilly »

I would shy away from welding anything onto it for now. If you still struggle to get it off with a square tool, you could try a stilton on it, but watch your knuckles and be careful not to shear it off, bahco also do a shifter with a serated jaw that are brilliant for this sort of job (Bahco 9071P Black Ergonomic Adjustable Wrench Reversible Jaw 8 & 10in) these are just the job for stuck studs, rounded nuts etc... beware of too much heat, but a good soaking with rust eating penetrating oil will help. Best of luck, we have all been there...
1948 E27N
1958 Dexta
Roadless 75
TEF 20
MF135 multipower
MF 165
MF 240
SAME Solar 60

spike
True Blue

Post by spike »

had to use a Irwin Bolt Grip Nut Remover Socket 16mm, tapped on with hammer and with a 18inch socket bar it was still tight to undo very dry no oil leak at all.
so i could get socket on sump plug had to drop the pickup hitch and take out the 4 bolts out holding 3 plates, one plate was attached to the brake cross bar just pushed that down out of way.
odd thing was 1 of the 4 bolts was wet with oil not a lot just had black oil on the last few threds, no oil dripped out over a week i just thought is would be dry like the other 3.
gear box plug was fine i had found on line (ebay)a vintage sump spanner with male and female ends nice snug fit and a few taps with hammer and it came un done.
i had to ground the axle plug to take the burs off and make square again (vintage sump spanner fits fine now)

thank you for the advice