wiring paranoia

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
kiwiland dexta
True Blue

wiring paranoia

Post by kiwiland dexta »

Hi again, I have just rewired, now the 'what ifs' are setting in. From the previous forum a couple of you have put in a fuse. Can you advise me what size fuse you used and where exactly you put it in the wiring!

Actually I was surprised just how durable the original bits have been, one of the mudguard lamps still had an original ENFO bulb that just blew recently! Only one wire looked like it had been fried and the coverings on the horn connections had been reduced to bare wire.

Cheers, Derek.

:?
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

Derek, I used a circuit breaker.....no scrabbling around for a spare fuse (or a piece of foil to bypass it ':wink:' ) out in the field, in the dark, in the rain etc....

They are available in several types...manual, semi-auto, or auto resetting....and several mounting styles.......use the auto reset unless you can mount it where it is accessible....

(harley-davidson used the stud types for years, perhaps still do..a possible source)

I have a single wire from the battery post to my dash/console.....I placed the breaker in that feed so that everything (except the starter motor and alternator output) are protected ....used either a 20a or 30a ...honestly don't remember which....and mounted it inside the dash panel out of the way.

Here is a link to some of the various types available...( I have done business with this outfit ..no problems) I don't know if they ship outside the US?

http://www.delcity.net/store/Circuit-Breakers/
Jack

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

Thank you for that, Jack.

Regards, Derek

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

I'm still about where I was with my wiring. I have the older style starter with two wired terminals and the push-lever start. Does it matter which of the terminals is linked to the solenoid? There does not seem to be any indication that it does on any wiring diagram.

Cheers, Derek.

Stefan
True Blue

Post by Stefan »

There's no link from the inner components to "earth", so it doesn't matter which way you connect the wires to the switch.

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

thanks, Stefan. Hope you're not getting bored now your dexta is done!

Regards, derek