Dexta Hydraulics

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Nick
True Blue

Dexta Hydraulics

Post by Nick »

Hi, having got the engine on my dexta finished I decided to see if the hydraulics work............they dont!

Is there anything obvious I can check before taking the cover off the back end? (Yes oil is at correct level) :D
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Dexta Hydraulics

Post by Bensdexta »

Ext services button is pressed in.

Have a look at the workshop manual - there's trouble shooting at the back.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Hi Ben, thanks for your reply.

The external services knob in definetly in, but is stuck in (something else I have to look at).

The hydraulics are literally doing nothing, no movement at all. I can lift the arms up and down by hand so there is obviously no oil getting to the piston, or the piston seal is so knackered that oil is just passing straight through it!

I have got the downloaded manual which jerry coles very kindly sent to me, I am reading this now. I have never taken a hydraulic top off before so it may be an interesting experience, although as I have gone through the rest of the tractor I had just aswell go through the backend too!

How is your litte dexta Ben?
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

So I have the lift cover off and on the bench, I am currently taking it apart which is proving tricky as some bits are seized in place.

I have however noticed that the position control lever is worn nearly all the way through. Are these still available or do I need to weld it up and grind it back to shape? Also the casting that the control lever runs on is really rough, could I file this flat or would this affect the way the linkage eventually works?

Another query.....would this wear on the position control lever cause the lift to not operate at all? It is also worth saying that I managed too get the aux valve working whilst the lift was on the tractor, the valve was definetly open, but no oil came out so could I also have a stuck valve somewhere?

Johnmcm
True Blue

Post by Johnmcm »

Hi Nick, the position control pin is a very common fault. You can weld and grind or replace with a drill bit shank.
The casting is ok to file smooth. If it doesn’t lift in position or draft control, it could be linkage, piston seal or pump. Section 8 page 24 for diagnostics. There is a good dvd from Tractormec. Worth buying for the £20ish.
Trailer on YouTube.
Regards

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

I second the recommendation for the Tractormec.co.uk (by Mike Perry) vid, which describes strip/overhaul of a Dexta top cover. Mike is also a very helpful guy if you need advice.

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Thanks for the info there guys, I will have a look at tractormec later on. From what I can see, where the pin on worn through, if you lift the linkage up to where it should be when the new stud is welded in place, the valve is pushed in further in the lift cylinder, as it is at the moment it hardly moves.

I will let you know how I get on and post a few pictures of progress :D

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Remember you can use a drill bit shank to replace the pin.

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

With the drill bit shank, do you literally grind off the old and weld it on? I was just thinking it would be too hard a metal to weld?

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

What about the shank of a 10.9 bolt?

Johnmcm
True Blue

Post by Johnmcm »

I'm sure I read on hear somewhere That you can press the old pin out and press in a sort length of drill bit shank. Somewhere on here it will tell you the drill diameter.
Good luck

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »