PTO grinding

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Jim Storm
Not Quite Blue Yet

PTO grinding

Post by Jim Storm »

I’m using a Teagle 510 topper with my 1961 Dexta. When I try to engage the PTO, there is an awful grinding but it eventually engages with force. I’m holding the clutch down and I’ve also moved the pin on the clutch rod back. Before I go down the heavy maintenance road, am I missing something really obvious?

Johnmcm
True Blue

Re: PTO grinding

Post by Johnmcm »

Sounds like your pto clutch is sticking. Mine does it a lot. Eventually I will no doubt have to split the tractor and service/change the clutch. For now, I raise the topper, kill the engine, engage the pto, start the engine and lower the topper. It's a bit of a faff. If you don’t raise the topper it usually breaks the shear pin on the pto shaft. You could also try dropping the topper down on long grass and holding the clutch down until the vibration frees it off, never really worked for me.
Good luck

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Do you both have live drive (double clutches)?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Jim Storm
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Jim Storm »

Hi John. I did think of doing that but as I starter button is out out of reach from the cab, I decided against for safety reasons.
Ben, yes I do double clutches.

Johnmcm
True Blue

Post by Johnmcm »

Yes, I have the live drive too. I suspect I may have oil contamination from the input shaft seal. Another job to add to the list :)