How to replace water pump seal?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
dewaltdisney
True Blue

How to replace water pump seal?

Post by dewaltdisney »

This year' problem is a leak dripping from what appears to be the water pump pulley. I wondered where the water was leaking from and I see that there is a seal available rather then doing the whole pump. I would be grateful for advice on how to do this rather than my usual trial and error Also, what anti freeze should I get as I have had to top it up a lot before use and anything left must be well diluted.

I am late cutting my fields this year and the grass was 3 foot high in places. I could not do it earlier as I had a stroke in January and I have been getting myself back from that. I must admit it was hard for me as with my weak left arm ( it is still not fully back yet) and no power steering I was doing some wide turns :D I also had to have the lift cover off again to replace the gasket. it had blown out by the hydraulic feed and was squirting oil everywhere last year. I must have been a Larry Limpwrist tightening the screws. I got that done with help from a friend and it was dead easy as all the pins were copper greased when it came off in 2016.

Now this leak has developed I want to sort it sooner rather than later so any help appreciated,

Thanks for reading

DWD

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: How to replace water pump seal?

Post by Bensdexta »

Sorry to hear of your stroke. You are making a good recovery to be tractoring again, so do keep getting better.

I fitted a replacement water pump rather than repair my old pump, although I believe there are seal kits available for this. A replacement pump is the quick fix - easily changed in a couple of hours. Then repair your old pump in slower time?

Any anti freeze/coolant for older vehicles, available from Halfords etc, should be fine. I use blue-coloured, rather than the red stuff.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

dewaltdisney
True Blue

Post by dewaltdisney »

Thanks Ben, I am doing okay thank you considering I was unable to walk in January. I see what you mean, I have just looked at the process for replacing the seal on Stefan's download manual. A new pump is just over £30, and it looks easy to do, so that is the way to go. many thanks.

DWD

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Sorry to hear of your stroke and glad to hear your well on the road to recovery.
I would agree with Ben and the quickest and easiest fix is to just replace the complete pump assembly instead of just replacing the seal. They are easy available and not expensive.

Regards
Charlie.

dewaltdisney
True Blue

Post by dewaltdisney »

Thanks Charlie, I think that will be easiest. I went down to my tractor and noticed now there is quite a bad oil leak which I have got to sort out.It is on the right hand side and some oil is getting on the right hand footplate but most is on the floor. I might be back for more help.

Cheers

DWD

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

From the Ext Services Valve?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

dewaltdisney
True Blue

Post by dewaltdisney »

Hi Ben, can you see my oil leak thread I have just started.

Many thanks,

DWD