Oils?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Oils?

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi All, I know very well that this topic has been discussed at great length. However, the fact that Ford issued an instruction that all ford tractors from 1958 can use the same oil e.g. sae 30 through out i.e. engine, gearbox and rear end hydraulics. My question is did they refer to the American Fords and English Fordson tractors. Keeping in mind that our temps in South Africa can get hot would the e.g.. 20w40 not be to light to use in the back ends for our temps. Okay I know that down under in Australasia it can get very hot as well. I'm told by a very knowledgeable man who has worked on these old tractor for years that the 20w40 agri is too light for the hydraulics. I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. I really don't wont to upset this fella by the same token also the forum, please guide me ,thanks.

charlie63
True Blue

Re: Oils?

Post by charlie63 »

Mervyn,

I used 20W50 oil in my engine, gearbox and rear axle. Ive had no problems at all and my lift does all its supposed to do and works well. Ive had it working hard on the plough and also had it on the road and have had no oil blowby either.

Regards
Charlie.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Charlie, thank you for your reply, I went and bought 30liters of 20w50 after reading your email. Glad to hear that the blowby has vanished, I look forward to the same experience.

Kind regards
Mervyn

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Mervyn,
Do let us know how she runs :D
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!