Handbrake adjustment

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Nick
True Blue

Handbrake adjustment

Post by Nick »

Hi everyone, as I posted a couple weeks ago, I have a very unusual original handbrake mechanism on my dexta.
Anyway I have now made the bits that were missing and got it working on the ratchet as it should do.
However it locks the nearside wheel up no problem but the other wheel is still allowed to spin freely.
I have tried to adjust the threaded part at the clevis but it is as far as it can go and it still is not moving the cross shaft which acts upon the brakes, it is as though the rod is too long?
Is there any other way to adjust the handbrake?

Its probably worth saying that I have adjusted the brakes themselves through the backplate as per manual.
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Re: Handbrake adjustment

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Nick,
Firstly, do you have the hand brake with the pawl behind your right heel or the hand brake on you left side? If you have the handbrake on your left there is another short rod that allows you to make a minor adjustment. It is the connecting rod linking the handbrake lever to the brake shaft lever. I hope that all makes sense.

Mervyn.

Nick
True Blue

Re: Handbrake adjustment

Post by Nick »

Hi Mervyn,

Yes the handbrake lever is on the left as you sit in the seat, I had adjusted that short linkage as much as it will go, so I made a short spacer to enable more thread to be available and it works a treat now!
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!