Steering rebuild videos?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
AlexB
Not Quite Blue Yet

Steering rebuild videos?

Post by AlexB »

Evening all
Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of a Super Dexta steering repair / rebuild video please?

It might give me an idea of which bits to order first!

Thanks
Alex

MikesDexta
True Blue

Re: Steering rebuild videos?

Post by MikesDexta »

Alex
did you solve this? I'm not aware of any videos but if the steering gear is the same as a standard dexta I could dig out a useful Tractor & Machinery article I used to rebuild mine.

cheers
Mike
1959 Dexta
I'm not retired just re-deployed

AlexB
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by AlexB »

Hi Mike
I didn't find anything

I was going to see what might be available on classic tractor mag or similar

If you are in a position to scan / copy soemthing I would be very grateful

Short term I need to do the top of the steering box as the big nut keeps coming undone and the bearings feel shot.

Regards
Alex

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

That's what I did first Alex and it did improve the steering but I found the play was still rubbish and the oil I put in slowly seeped out of the bottom seals. Since I rebuilt the whole unit it has been perfect.

Have a read of this post re the varying length of the top shaft you get as part of the top end kit.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6835

The only other problem is with the chrome nuts - I've had 2 from the land of nearly right and both have rusted to hell despite the dexta being undercover, I think I'll have the next one re-chromed.

I'll look for that article tomorrow, its in my workshop somewhere.

Mike
1959 Dexta

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

Hi Alex
I've scanned the article but can't upload it so can you pm me your email address and I will send it over. It's 50Mb so blummin big mind you!

cheers

Mike
1959 Dexta

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

In such cases I use https://wetransfer.com/ Works very well. You have to make a zip file first before sending.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Guys, just what I was working on over the last two days. A couple of things, firstly I have some play in my steering plus minus 6-7 inches, secondly when I turn my steering to the left it is a lot easier than turning to the right, that is with the wheels slightly off the ground. Charlie I am not sure whether I did fit shims to the rocker shaft housing as I last worked on the steering many moons ago, I will remove the steering box tomorrow and check it out. I did put some oil into the box which I will have to tip out before removing the rocker shaft housing. Just hit me now that with out the drag links connected that resistance is not there so I may not have to strip the steering box. Every thing is new from ball joints, king pin bushes down to the thrust bearing, so what could be causing the resistance is a mystery. I did try and apply some more grease to the extension units that the king pin slides into using a grease gun, but the grease just oozes out between the grease nipple and gun nozzle. However the nipple is not blocked, are there perhaps different size nozzles?

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

Hi Mervyn
If you pm me your email address I will send you the Steering Box Rebuild article in pdf from Tractor & Machinery (their Editor gave me permission to share it with members), you probably know most of it but I found the step by step approach with lots of pictures and tips very useful. Like you my problem was a huge amount of play with stiff steering and doing the rebuild solved it (just using the top shaft kit didn't work for me) and the steering now works great.

A few tips from my rebuild (apols if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here)

A few tips:

1. The steering wheel may resist all attempts to come off (I had to cut mine off) as will the drop arms when you do the bottom box, so I bought one of these and it worked a treat
https://www.screwfix.com/p/bearing-sepa ... /19315#_=p
2. Measure your old top shaft and buy a new top shaft from a supplier who can measure theirs e.g. Dunlop etc. Agriline operate from a call centre so wouldn't be able to do this. These top shafts do vary in length and if too long will create an annoying gap between the top cover and your steering wheel
3. Lightly grease the new ball bearings before fitting and fit one at a time with a weak magnetic pick up wand (car aerial type). You might find you can't get them all in but don't worry just leave one out.
4. As the article says, when you do the bottom box it will be full of watery gunk which will go everywhere so put the unit on a poly sheet/large tray before breaking open.
5. The shims are a pain and very much trial and error, I ended up making paper ones for both top and bottom out of gasket paper as the spare metal one I bought was too thick.
6. I used a thin layer of Blue Hylomar on each gasket plus a smidge around each oil seal.

My grease gun works on my Dexta grease nipples but won't fit my topper and pto shaft so I had to buy a slightly bigger nozzle, you might need a slightly smaller one?

cheers

Mike
1959 Dexta

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Good day Mike, I have just sent you an PM with my email details, I look forward to receiving your information.

To be honest with you I don't think I have my old nut anymore, I turfed it out with my out scrap about 3 years ago, but I must have a quick look around it might still be lurking around in my messy garage.

Kind regards
Mervyn Spencer.

Manta356
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Manta356 »

MikesDexta wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:12 pm
Hi Mervyn
If you pm me your email address I will send you the Steering Box Rebuild article in pdf from Tractor & Machinery (their Editor gave me permission to share it with members), you probably know most of it but I found the step by step approach with lots of pictures and tips very useful. Like you my problem was a huge amount of play with stiff steering and doing the rebuild solved it (just using the top shaft kit didn't work for me) and the steering now works great.

Mike
Hi Mike.
I tried to Pm You as Well to see if You could Send me on that Article as well,But my Pm's seem to be sitting in my Outbox.
Would You be able to send it Please.If You Pm me I'll give You my email address
Regards
Paddy