Underslung or Vertical Exhaust?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Wee59dexta
True Blue

Underslung or Vertical Exhaust?

Post by Wee59dexta »

Hi all. I've been on a few road runs this year. The longest being a 40 mile all round journey to a show. Now, I got thinking after experiencing the familiar taste of diesel fumes on my teeth for about an hour wether or not a downswept exhaust would result in a nicer drive? I have to admit, as a matter of personal taste I do prefer the underslung look. Having driven a few grey machines I know the underslung exhaust is quieter, and I've always preferred the look. Unfortunately I don't do any field work therefore being choked whilst hitching and low clearance etc isn't an issue for me.

Also, was there an underslung system on a standard Dexta? Interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

Old Hywel
True Blue

Re: Underslung or Vertical Exhaust?

Post by Old Hywel »

Ask a few Fergy owners about downswept systems. As I understand it, a following wind will keep you immersed in fumes.
Is your silencer tip high enough?

Wee59dexta
True Blue

Post by Wee59dexta »

My silencer tip is the standard height I'm sure. Thats a very good point. I think maybe it's more that I prefer the look and it would make mine that little bit different at shows etc.
Thanks for your reply!

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

I have been pondering whether a slightly longer top section with a bend outward of the vertical exhaust. :scratchhead:

bobfaecullen
True Blue

Post by bobfaecullen »

Hi,

I will give you a few comparisons as I have a dexta with the standard type vertical exhaust and my recently acquired vineyard dexta with an underslung exhaust.

The vertical exhaust is definitely noisier while driving, it is surprising how much quieter the underslung is.
I can get the underslung into a much lower shed.
The underslung almost chokes you to death while hooking on an implement and as previously said you are in a permanent cloud of fumes if in a following wind......although my vineyard dexta could do with the pump being overhauled I think.
The underslung exhaust gives you one very hot foot, if you rest it on the footplate, maybe that might be a good thing on a cold road run :D

Having now driven both I definitely prefer the vertical exhaust - but that is just my opinion. Hope it helps with your choice.

Bob