A bit of update on my Dexta project.

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

A bit of update on my Dexta project.

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi,
Good news is that the Dexta starts well with no smoke at all :clap:. We did however find that the number 2 injector was leaking under the nozzle nut between the head and bottom of the nut, I am expecting 2 used injectors today where we may be able to make up one good injector. Yesterday I tested the hydraulics and they operated well obviously with no load. I replaced the seat on the tractor so that I could sit comfortable to test the clutch operation, I held my breath and engaged first gear low range and released the clutch slowly and bingo she moved forward and then I reversed back with out any grating of gears. I now want to get my brakes set up after hopefully getting the leaking injector resolved.

bobfaecullen
True Blue

Re: A bit of update on my Dexta project.

Post by bobfaecullen »

Well done Mervyn, keep up the good work...... now for a bit of ploughing :D :clap:

Bob

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Well done Mervyn. I had faith in you getting her up and running. It's a great feeling isn't it. That's the major hurdles crossed now so not much to do to get her all finished. Can't wait to see some pics. :clap: :clap: :beer:

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement Bob and Charlie, yes Charlie its an awesome feeling, I had forgotten how loud the engine is without the silencer nearly blew my ear drums :wink:.
Well the two injectors that were handed over to me looked nothing like the originals, nothing matched. I took my faulty injector to a reputable diesel repair business and they stopped the leak by sanding down a bur that was on the face of one of the bits and pieces of the inside of the injector. I fitted it tonight and so far so good, I will give the engine a longer run tomorrow.
Today I was also able to buy some rubber edging for the two dash panels, looks very neat thanks for the info you used Charlie. I need to find a hand brake ratchet piece that bolts onto the left mudguard, mine is very worn, I did think of getting it built up but I feel that the cost to do that I might as well buy one off the eBay UK which I found last night, definitely break the bank with our current exchange rate :(, but having got so far what the hell, bite the bullet.
Well that's it for now gents will post more once some progress is made. :buddies:
Mervyn.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi there, I was so enthused to get my second injector in last Friday that it was only on Saturday that I noticed that my number 1 and 3 injectors were also wet around the nozzle nut and head, number three actually had a small bubble appear every now and again :x . Anyway I handed them over to my injector repairer on Monday but he has been very busy so I might only get my injectors back on Monday.
I have actually ordered a hand brake ratchet part from Agriline Products so hopefully that should be here soon, that's if our customs office are not full of it, you know what I mean. On Tuesday I decided to work on my breaks, so off with the left rear wheel and brake drum did what the manual tells you but was not too successful. My MF tractor mac came and assisted me today and all looks good. I got a bit of a crack across the knuckles (tongue in cheek) because the inside of the brake drum had a coat of primer on :oops: anyway that was soon sanded off. Tomorrow I shall try my skills that I learned today from the "ol' boy" and adjust the right rear wheel brakes. It's not going to be easy removing the wheel ( Tyre size 14 9 24 ) as I don't have too much room between the wall and the tractor, fortunately I'm a skinny fella. I want to get the Dexta outside the garage before I take some pics, should not be too long now.
Mervyn.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Well brakes are all set up plus hand brake, just short of a little tweak here and there. I'm still having trouble with my steering it is so difficult to turn. This week I removed the spindles/king pins to examine the thrust bearings, found them to be okay. I have now again removed the steering box and removed all but one thin shim and one heavier shim, seems to be okay on the bench getting about four and a quarter turns with the steering wheel end to end. Need to replace the steering box on the tractor and fill with SAE 90 oil then see what the result will be. Still waiting for my two injectors to be serviced.
Apologies Charlie re my email. :oops:
Mervyn.