dexta draft control setting

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
spark23ca
Not Quite Blue Yet

dexta draft control setting

Post by spark23ca »

i have fordson dexta ..the lift is quite weak .. i have the draft control all the way up ..the 3 point hitch does not start to come up till the selector is just a few inches from the top ..i'm thinking i might have to do Qualitrol Linkage Adjustment and Position Control Linkage Adjustment ..and while i'm in there change the o rings and filters ..however in the service manual i downloaded off of here it says i need a tool called a locating arm t8512/a.. do i really need this tool ? Or is there just a position i should hold the lift arms in

bobfaecullen
True Blue

Re: dexta draft control setting

Post by bobfaecullen »

Hi,

Here is a quote from the wiki pages written by Brian explaining the procedure without using the special tool -

Qualitrol (Draft) Control adjustment. This must be done before Position Control Adjustment.

Move the lift arms to the fully up position. (As the lift is on its back this will mean that the arms are fully down). Now move the arms down until the upper surface of the yoke in which the linkage fits is level with the gasket surface of the lift housing. This can be checked with a straight edge. The arms can be held in this position by tightening the arm retaining studs. Do not forget to slacken these when the lift is replaced.
Hope this helps

Bob

spark23ca
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by spark23ca »

bobfaecullen wrote:Hi,

Here is a quote from the wiki pages written by Brian explaining the procedure without using the special tool -

Qualitrol (Draft) Control adjustment. This must be done before Position Control Adjustment.

Move the lift arms to the fully up position. (As the lift is on its back this will mean that the arms are fully down). Now move the arms down until the upper surface of the yoke in which the linkage fits is level with the gasket surface of the lift housing. This can be checked with a straight edge. The arms can be held in this position by tightening the arm retaining studs. Do not forget to slacken these when the lift is replaced.
Hope this helps

Bob
thank you very much ..you've helped my understanding of this greatly ...i've rebuilt plenty of gas and diesel engines but i've not messed with the hydraulics much .. now that i've read this it i kinda feel silly asking haha...i love these old tractors ..first thing i've ever driven ...father had a strawberry farm and he used to let me steer ..i'll never forget it

bobfaecullen
True Blue

Post by bobfaecullen »

Ha ha, that brings back memories to me as well. My uncle charlie had one of those grey things and I remember sitting on his knee and being allowed to steer, must have been in the very early sixties.......he saw sense later on and bought a dexta :beer:

spark23ca
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by spark23ca »

bobfaecullen wrote:Ha ha, that brings back memories to me as well. My uncle charlie had one of those grey things and I remember sitting on his knee and being allowed to steer, must have been in the very early sixties.......he saw sense later on and bought a dexta :beer:
we had all kinds of tractors ...old gas farm all and the fordson was the only ones that had any sentimental value ...the farm all was bought half and half by grandfather and and another farmer ... still have that one... the fordson was traded and i looked for years for one like it ...bought one this summer ..first time i heard it run it was so familiar .. i like the flame thrower heater on the intake ...we never used or knew about that when i was a kid ...it seems to work good and safer then starting fluid

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Whilst you have the top cover off, check the pin which contacts the cam on the "Arm Ram to Cylinder" Item 49 Fig 10 in the parts manual. If it is worn, or possibly worn completely away. it needs to be replaced.

Gerald