New here, Mick from Oztralia, need info on Dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
MickL
Not Quite Blue Yet

New here, Mick from Oztralia, need info on Dexta

Post by MickL »

G'day Fellas,

I am new to this place as I am looking at a Fordson Dexta on Saturday to buy. my old grey fergy has finally met the end of its working life and the Dexta has been chosen as its replacement.

is there anything that I should be aware of or look for with the Dexta? are there things I need to inspect or check? the guy that owns it is selling due to age not by choice and it sounds like it should serve me well, I only need it for mowing and basic farm work.

any info appreciated.

great forum you have here

SvendH
True Blue

Re: New here, Mick from Oztralia, need info on Dexta

Post by SvendH »

Greetings Mick
Welcome to the board,hang around abit and you should get answers here to just about anything concerning fordsons(check also FAQ).
My exsperiance is mostly with the Major,but I have heard that the cold-start device on some Dextas can be troublesome,which drives some of them into a debilitating :x ether addiction!
Anyway one of the "heavies" on the dexta should soon chip in with some info,meantime you could help with some more info such as-model: super/standard, fuel, year,serial No, pix if possible!
Hope your not near those awfull bush-fires we have been hearing about?
Kind Regards Svend.

MickL
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MickL »

thanks Svend,

I will know more about the Dexta on Saturday, thankfully we are no where near the fires.

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

I would initially be checking that the lift arms raise to full height, steering does not have too much play, tyres are OK, oil leaks limited to a few drips at most, if it has a double clutch it works for PTO and gears, and yes as above it starts without the dreaded Engine Start!
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

MickL
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MickL »

picked the little Dexta up yesterday, all looks ok for its age, no signs of oil leaks, steering seems good, everything works and starts easily without any assistance from heater or ether.... so far happy with what I got... it was cheap and needs some rust repairs in the rear mud guards and some paint and thats about it

Bluebilly
True Blue

Post by Bluebilly »

I'm sure you will have hours of fun with your new Dexta. Mine is my "go to" tractor for road runs, its such a joy to drive.
1948 E27N
1958 Dexta
Roadless 75
TEF 20
MF135 multipower
MF 165
MF 240
SAME Solar 60

MickL
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MickL »

thanks for the replies, i have already been getting dirty with it, even if it is only maintenance and repairs