PTO problem

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
MickL
Not Quite Blue Yet

PTO problem

Post by MickL »

I did some mowing today and the little Dexta was great,
but,

I could not engage the PTO without turning the motor off, engaging the PTO and then starting the tractor again?

is this normal?

any info appreciated

MickL
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: PTO problem

Post by MickL »

update,

I noticed that the clutch arm had a rod with a t position clevis pin with an R clip, so I moved the rod to the rear hole to see if that mad any difference, it now feels like it has a 2 stage clutch, I can feel the initial transmission engage/disengage part and then the extra feel of the PTO part of the clutch. unfortunately I still couldnt get the PTO to work engage/disengage even after the clutch arm rod was re positioned to the second hole.

I assume it may need some load to break the grip on the plate? the old guy that owned it said the tractor had barely been used in the last 17 years.

MickL
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MickL »

Problem solved, I had the slasher running and I deliberately run over a small mound of dirt and as I did this I pushed the clutch fully in.... This was enough to break the grip on the clutch which I assume was from many years sitting. Everything is now fully functional.
I have used the Dexta a few times now to cut the grass and it performs beautifully.

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

Oops I think the rest of us have been distracted by other things, this time of year, and have left you to sort your own problem out! Certainly I personally haven't looked in on the forum for 3 weeks or so. Actually I didn't know the Dexta has 2 positions for the clutch pedal linkage (sounds similar to contemporary Massey Fergusons), on the Major you can put in a pin to stop you pushing the pedal all the way down.

Glad you got it sorted!
1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.

MickL
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MickL »

blackbob wrote: I didn't know the Dexta has 2 positions for the clutch pedal linkage (sounds similar to contemporary Massey Fergusons)
Glad you got it sorted!
well it seems like this little tractor may be more than I thought when I bought it, it appears to be a Super Dexta (chassis and engine numbers suggest its a Super Dexta) so I am happy that everything it has as far as features go.... I think I might need to rethink it now and possibly spend some time and money on a clean up and paint to restore this old workhorse... :beer: