1962 Fordson Super Dexta/Ford 2000

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
ItsaFord
Not Quite Blue Yet

1962 Fordson Super Dexta/Ford 2000

Post by ItsaFord »

Hi Guys and maybe a few Gals,

On a short deadline for a story (Diesel World magazine, Tractor Talk column) without enough time to order the Dexta book, as I did with the Fordson Major story a year back. Hope some of you can help me make sure I get a few facts right on the '62 Ford 2000 Super Dexta. I have some resources but they don't answer a few questions. To whit:

0- Background: I shot this tractor some time ago and can no longer reach the owner. I shot a picture of the serial number but it came out fuzzy. I can only say that it was represented as a '62 Ford 2000 Super Dexta and was sold by an Ohio, USA, Dealer. I have attached two general views.

1- I don't have a comprehensive list of the upgrades/differences between the Dexta and Super Dexta. The engine appears to have most of them, plus the sheet metal and color scheme. Anything else noteworthy?

2- I understand production started in April of '62, correct?

3- In those early days, were they all given the Ford 2000 badging... or only those destined for the NA market?

4- Was there a timeline from the Super Dexta intro to the Ford 2000 persona intro, or were they simultaneous?

5- Given Ford USA had a newly dubbed "Ford 2000" model at that time, it seems kinda silly to introduce another one. Especially considering the World Tractors were in development with a known 1964 intro timeframe. Any perspectives on that?

6- I have read the engine in the Super Dexta is often called the "Ford/Perkins" and that it was a co-developed engine... or perhaps that Ford had made suggestions on it's upgrade? Any comments on that?

Much appreciate any help. I had to bump this one ahead in the lineup (it's a monthly column) and now there isn't time to order Condie's Dexta book

Jim Allen
Trying to relive the thrilling days of yesteryear.

Les bryant
True Blue

Re: 1962 Fordson Super Dexta/Ford 2000

Post by Les bryant »

Hi. Just a bit of info if indeed a1962 model the wheels should be orange and mud guards blue . The 2000 must of been just NA.
The engine was co - developed I think built perkins.
The new performance super dexta had white wheels and guards.
Cheers Les.