Lost Bolt!

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
cer29072
Not Quite Blue Yet

Lost Bolt!

Post by cer29072 »

New here, but from reading some of the posts, I'm sure that I'm not the only one who's done something similar to this, so reaching out for some advice.

After MANY hours of working on a friends Super Dexta, the starter needed a new drive gear to afford enough engagement on the Flywheel to get her going.

Once I got the starter back, while backing out the top bolt (threaded it a bit back in place), something distracted me right at the point of the last thread and the bolt came out in my hand. Due to the 'angle' of removal, my hand was in a 'cupped' position and the bolt rolled out and into the bell housing/starter hole!

I ran a magnet that I pushed into a tight-fitting piece of fuel line and was lucky enough to see it right at the starter hole opening. As I reached for it, I must have bumped it just enough for it to come free of the magnet, and it dropped back into the housing!!

After MANY hours of trying to fish it back out, the only luck I've had to date is in retrieving the lock washer that was on the bolt.

If I KNEW that it was laying on the bottom of the housing and wouldn't 'relocate' into the flywheel gear, I'd just run another bolt in and be done with it, but that's not something I really care to do as I'm not sure how much clearance there is between the flywheel teeth and the bottom of the housing.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much,
Charlie

Emiel
True Blue

Re: Lost Bolt!

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

There’s only one good answer here. Split her up. With the right precautions not a bad job at all.

Rgds emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

cer29072
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by cer29072 »

I'm fighting that option as much as I can. Have tired a few different magnet configurations, tried to go in with my bore scope, but the head/camera was just a bit too big, hit every area that I can reach with 150psi air in an effort to 'relocate' it, but no luck so far.

What I can see is that there seems to be a 'cavity' on the backside of the engine where the end of the crankshaft exits...if I could see in there, it may have 'rolled over' on its way down and lodged in there somewhere. If someone happened to have a good picture of what that area looks like, it was at least help in knowing where it MIGHT be and spend some time trying to run a magnet in there.

I'm going to give it a couple more attempts, but split'n her seems to be on the horizon :(

dewaltdisney
True Blue

Post by dewaltdisney »

This might be worth a try a flexible magnet and a gripper https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laser-Magnet ... Swky1bjrNz

You might be lucky, better than splitting.

DWD

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi,

Maybe a stupid idea but worth a try. If you have a strong magnet do some circular movements under the bell housing then gently slide the magnet up towards the starter motor appiture, it might be a labourious practice but what if you hit the luck.

cer29072
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by cer29072 »

Thanks...I've tried at least 5 different configurations of magnets, but still haven't hit it.

I've run a bore scope down there, but since it's for small diameter (firearm barrels) it won't focus beyond an inch or so.

I was able to make out what appears to be some sort of 'recess' above and below the area where the crankshaft exits the back of the engine. The lower area seems to have a 'lip' of sort, so if it rolled into that area, it would most likely stay there, but until I'm positive where it is and the chance of it getting into the flywheel, I'm going to continue to look a bit more.

I'll most likely reach that saturation point, then split the tractor enough to reach around in there :cry:

cer29072
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by cer29072 »

Mervyn Spencer wrote:Hi,

Maybe a stupid idea but worth a try. If you have a strong magnet do some circular movements under the bell housing then gently slide the magnet up towards the starter motor appiture, it might be a labourious practice but what if you hit the luck.
Not a stupid idea at all, actually I've taken one of those 'fishing magnets' and ran it around under the housing hoping that at the very least I'd hear it roll back down once the magnet was pulled away. That way I'd know where it was and were to concentrate my time. Never heard a 'peep' :cry:

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

Do you have the means to raise the rear end of the tractor really high and give it a shake?

cer29072
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by cer29072 »

fenhayman wrote:Do you have the means to raise the rear end of the tractor really high and give it a shake?
I could get it up at a pretty steep angle and do some 'rapping' on the housing with a small hammer, but I'm quite sure that the bolt is in between the flywheel and the rear of the engine/adapter plate as after I dropped it I was able to pull out the lock washer with the magnet. Too, I've been able to get a friend's inspection scope back in there and neither of us see anything but the usual grime.

As I'm not familiar with tractors that much, I've tried to research via this and other sites for any good pictures of those areas where it MIGHT have gone, but haven't had any luck there. Just from what I can see via mirror/s and the inspection camera (won't focus well to the sides), it appears that there might be a possibility that it rolled over into what appears to possibly be a 'recessed area' just below the exit of the crankshaft...just can't see well with what I have on hand.

If anyone would have any pictures of an engine/adapter plate that would either prove/disprove my theory, I'd really appreciate it!

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

If you have the Dexta workshop manual look up section 6, fig 1, page 1. It will give you a fair idea what you are looking for.

cer29072
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by cer29072 »

Mervyn Spencer wrote:If you have the Dexta workshop manual look up section 6, fig 1, page 1. It will give you a fair idea what you are looking for.
Thanks...what I've found online only goes to Section 5...just my luck :roll:

PghBill
True Blue

Post by PghBill »

Charlie,
When you get to the Fordson Dexta page, scroll up from your post to Stefans workshop manual. More sections are there.
Bill

cer29072
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by cer29072 »

PghBill wrote:Charlie,
When you get to the Fordson Dexta page, scroll up from your post to Stefans workshop manual. More sections are there.
Bill
Thanks! Found it...

After many HOURS of trying to locate the bolt, I've conceded that it's in some 'Black Hole', lodged somewhere out of 'harm'.

I've re-installed the starter and will hope that it will stay put until the need to split the tractor for a clutch replacement is needed........

Thanks to all that offered their insight/opinions here!
Charlie

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi Charlie,

I hope it works. You surely have more dare then I have.

rgds
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

Decision time! Split tractor, remove bolt, sleep at night. OR hope it sits out of the way, and never makes a big hole in the bellhousing. :D

bobfaecullen
True Blue

Post by bobfaecullen »

It doesn't take long to split, bolt will probably fall out as soon as you open a gap. :D

Bob

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi,
We are all waiting with baited breath to hear the outcome. Good luck Buddy we are holding thumbsfor you.

cer29072
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by cer29072 »

Mervyn Spencer wrote:Hi,
We are all waiting with baited breath to hear the outcome. Good luck Buddy we are holding thumbsfor you.
Thanks Mervyn and all!

After installing the correct starter for the tractor, it fires of great!

Yeah, I held my breath, but after MANY hours of looking, prodding, and 'magnet fishing' for it, I'm sure it's found a new 'home' in there.

Let's pray the 'Tractor God' is with me :)

The owner is to come take her away this afternoon. It'll be spending most of its remaining life tucked away in one of those 40' storage containers, only to be used 3-4 times a year to clear off some food plots that the owner has at his hunting Shark.

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

‘Hunting Shark” ??
Did you get that right?

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

I think he means hunting shack. :D

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

Nope it is that old quirk of the forum that changes p r o p e r t y to shark!
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

kiwiland dexta wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:18 am
Nope it is that old quirk of the forum that changes p r o p e r t y to shark!
It's not the old quirk of the forum, I found out today. Someone made a list of words to convert..., and pr o perty is one of them.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch