1958 Dexta cylinder head valve clearances

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Tim Comer
Not Quite Blue Yet

1958 Dexta cylinder head valve clearances

Post by Tim Comer »

Good evening all,
i want to adjust the valve clearances on my Dexta, i have done a bit of searching and there seems to be various options, does anyone have link for the easiest method? am i right in thinking its a three spanner job?
regards Tim.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Re: 1958 Dexta cylinder head valve clearances

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Tim,
According to my Fordson Dexta and Super Dexta workshop manual the valve clearances are 0.010 in(0.25mm)Engine hot. Do you perhaps have a copy of a workshop manual, if not please send me a PM and I will upload the various sections to you.

Tring to download Section 1 from the forum for some reason gives a page not found response.

Regards
Mervyn.

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Set the engine with the first cylinder on TDC. There's a mark on the left side of the flywheel housing
Then you can adjust the gap on valve no 1,2,3 and 5.
Now you need to turn the engine 360° and adjust valve 4 and 6.
According to the manual, the gaps should be set to 0,010 for both intake and exhaust valves. The engine has to be warm.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Tim Comer
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Tim Comer »

Thank you both for taking the trouble to reply, I managed to do it in the end, i set the gap to 0,012 cold because I found it time consuming and thought the engine would be a lot cooler by time I had finished. The gaps were tight apart from number 5 which was very loose. The engine needs plenty of pre heat to start from cold and the exhaust soon clears but it is breathing quite a bit from the breather pipe.