Old 20's parts..hydraulic O rings...

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
npaisnel
True Blue

Old 20's parts..hydraulic O rings...

Post by npaisnel »

Edit...I started this off as a simple single question but got carried away and waffled on a bit..apologies.. :D

I had a hydraulic top cover O Ring kit (amongst other parts) from Old 20's and it seems not a great kit, at least one missing, and one the wrong size ( big one under the ASC valve )... so I have substuted these from an O ring kit box.

Then I see This question and mention of CNH 'proper O rings
On that thread I saw reference to not using normal O rings but to use some with a blue mark..higher temperature ones...
Brian wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:42 pm

Did you use a Case New Holland "O" ring on the unload valve? If you used an ordinary one, that could give you problems. The CNH ones are made of a special rubber that does not deform when heated by the oil, should have a blue spot on it.

Now, I have not put the top cover back on yet..I have just rebuilt it and set up the Qualitrol and Position linkage acording to Mike Perry's video..0.396 and 0.449, with half inch lift on the arms, half inch off the stop in Draft and at the bottom in Position.

Was cleaning up the ASC valve before putting it alll back together..and got to wonder about the oil flow though the Top Cover / ASC valve. Mine is the earlier ASC, just the push pull Aux flow diverter..no Flow Control. So i did a search ..and found that thread about High Temp O rings..so before I put it back together with the wrong/poor quality O rings..best I check..hence this post.

So three questions...

1) Should I rip off the lift cylinder again and get proper Ford New Holland O rings rather than the Old 20's O rings and piston seal, or will the Old 20's ones be OK...it won't be getting used for more than a bit of light grass harrowing, or transport box usage..

2) Any one know of a diagram showing the flow of oil in/out all the holes of the ASC and top cover ?

3) I bought a new draft Spring Yoke frm Old 20's..the one that goes on the Draft spring at the back. Ford P/N 957E-546 according to the Dexta parts manual. But the one from Old20's is about 10mm shorter...basically a different part. Does any one any info or thoughts on that ? I will be sending it back. I eneded up refurbishing the old one, partially making new part in the end, as I now have a lathe to play with (Colchester Triumph 2000) :D

OK thought of another .......4 questions.

No. 4 ..my current experiencs with Old 20's parts is a bit poor. any one else use them or should I go elsewhere ? ..the guys on the end of the phone are very nice, very helpful, but their parts do not seem to be up to much. I bought the Qualitrol Spring Support too 957E-624, but that is going back too..very poorly made item, ended up making my own in the end.

As background, the reason the top cover is off was that it threw a cog in the g/box back in the 90's and it got put in a back of a shed. We gave up farming in 1999. I buggerede off to South Africa and did nto get back till 2002. Then I got around to getting the g/box fixed..then i did bits of body work..then went off to Uganda for a bit, came back to UK, got a job and never did much more to it. About 3 years ago, thought sod it..put it back to work as it is, but when I did, it did not lift any weight, it would barely liftan empty transport box.
So started the hydraulic strip down, abotu three years ago and ... just got back on this week..got top cover now done last week. Big gouge in lift cylinder wall..but I had a spare. :)
ASC today.....then pull the hydraulic pump next week.

So that is the potted history and my questions...
If any one finds any of my pictures of interest, please do right click and Save Them to your computer as soon as possible.
I host my pictures on my own server and since this site does not save images, they may not always be available,

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Old 20's parts..hydraulic O rings...

Post by mathias1 »

Hello,

A lot of questions. I hope some Dexta experts can help you out.
Just a few idea's might help you:
If you go to the New Holland parts list (the link is in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7876)
you can find the sizes of the o-rings on the hydraulics.

As for the unloading valve: on the super major, which is a bit similar as the dexta, it's common use to install the unloading valve without the o-ring. Better no o-ring than a wrong one.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

mathias1 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:54 pm
Hello,

If you go to the New Holland parts list (the link is in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7876)
you can find the sizes of the o-rings on the hydraulics.

oooooohh that is nice I have the old copies of the original Fordson parts lists from here from years back ..but that FNH page with the actual dimensions that is super nice..and they use standard imperial 'names for o rings..like 011 part 67 on the lift cylinder

As you say ...los of questions..
Last edited by npaisnel on Wed May 20, 2020 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
If any one finds any of my pictures of interest, please do right click and Save Them to your computer as soon as possible.
I host my pictures on my own server and since this site does not save images, they may not always be available,

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

Can't say much about the old 20 quality. Used them years ago for E27N parts and they were OK. Think you hit the nail on the head with aftermarket parts for Tractors in general. Most is rubbish with quite a high price tag.

Never had any issues with standard o-rings below the aux valve chest on a dexta. But never needed to open the unload valve or replace piston seal.

Your speed of repairing I recognize. I'm about as fast as you are.

Rgds

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Always too many other jobs
Getting top cover off was a long job, due seized pins on lift arms and trailer hitch attachment. No oxy acetylene any more, so the pins got removed slowly over a number of YEARS ! Bit of propane heat, penetrating oil and random jacks and rams to fashion a ‘pusher’. Would come back to it now and then, every few -6 months !

I rolled this tractor down a slope in to a tree when I was about 6 years old. I did eventually sort the dent in the nose come out.....about 40 years later !

Strimming paddock fenced by hand this morning... so by this PM might make a start on Dexta again. Just contemplating taking both wings off as well as foot plate, to give rear axle a needle gunning and coat of paint... but we all know where that leads... brake and rear axle service too... no, think I ought to just get lift arms working first.... maybe just needle gun and paint the main trunk that I can get to. !