Front wheel bearing & spindle

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
nickfair
Not Quite Blue Yet

Front wheel bearing & spindle

Post by nickfair »

Hi, I could do with a bit of help with this please: In the process of replacing the wheel bearing I've found that the stub axle thread is so worn (stripped) that I can't tighten the castle nut. Seems I'll need to replace the spindle? The Dexta manual shows a thrust bearing + upper and lower spindle bushes and I think these will need replacing?

Any tips/advice how to remove and replace the thrust bearing + spindle bushes. Do I need the special tool shown in the manual or is there a way round this?

Thanks

Nick

Timeee
True Blue

Re: Front wheel bearing & spindle

Post by Timeee »

Dear Nick

The thrust bearing will drop out with the spindle, when you knock it down through the axle housing. The bushes can be knocked out using a suitable drift, although you need to get enough space under the axle to knock the upper bush up. It is a good idea to remove the axle extensions at this stage. I use an extension bar from an old 1/2 inch socket set and a suitable socket, although sometimes the bushes are so worn, they are paper thin and break up with a bit of beasting.

Make sure you get a good quality spindle, bushes and thrust bearing, there is too much cheap rubbish on offer from the "land of nearly right". I always go for Emmark parts, which fit first time, with no secondary problems. You need to get the bushes reamed ideally for a good fit, so see if you can borrow an adjustable reamer, or take off the axle extension piece and take it to a good engineering firm, (with the new bushes and spindle) who can do it for you. Well worth the effort of taking off the axle extensions (and you then know that you can adjust the wheel track easily, when setting up for ploughing)

Tim E

nickfair
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by nickfair »

Thanks for your advice Tim, I'll give it a go.

Much appreciated

Nick

oor wullie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by oor wullie »

If you don't have equipment for reaming the bushes properly and you're happy to be a bit 'agricultural' then a fine flapper wheel attached to a drill will do the job well enough to get a reasonable fit.

Tim

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

While your in that area I can recommend replacing the bolts which connect the radius arms to the Axle Extension arms. I had terrible wheel wobble and it was cured by replacing these bolts. I don't believe they are listed but they are the same size as the wing fixing bolts to the rear axle.
Cheers
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

I solved wheel wobble same way as Jerry :D

nickfair
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by nickfair »

Thanks guys for your advice and info. Really helpful. I plan to work on it this weekend so I'll see how it goes. Much appreciated Nick

nickfair
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by nickfair »

I've started removing the spindle bushes using a socket extension. The bottom one is about half way out and I'm now thinking how am I going to get the new bushes in? They'll be a very tight fit. Looking into hand reamers/ flapper wheel to get the new bush to the right size but not sure of the best way to go? New territory for me so I'd appreciate ate your help.

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Hi,
Put the new bushes one night in the freezer next to that frozen chicken 8)
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

nickfair
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by nickfair »

Thanks the freezer it is then. Cheers Nick

nickfair
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by nickfair »

Job done. Delayed because of faulty spindle but Emmark replaced it without any problem. Pleased to say the bearings fitted just right without the need for any work. Thanks for your help. Cheers Nick