Upgrading Dexta Handbrake

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
MikesDexta
True Blue

Upgrading Dexta Handbrake

Post by MikesDexta »

Hi all
I'm currently renovating a 2 acre paddock which is full of dead nettle roots with the strength of towrope. I'm making progress but it involves swapping implements at regular intervals so I use my brake pawl to hold her steady once lined up. The problem is I keep forgetting to release the pawl :oops: . I would like to upgrade to a proper handbrake so does anyone know how I can achieve this please? I've searched the forum to no avail other than to understand Fordson did produce a retrofit handbrake kit for earlier Dextas (mine is a 1959 model).

Mike
1959 Dexta
I'm not retired just re-deployed

Emiel
True Blue

Re: Upgrading Dexta Handbrake

Post by Emiel »

You might want something like this https://www.agrilineproducts.com/ford-f ... embly-5768

Or do it the Dutch way; a brick before the rear tyre :wink:
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

Thanks but is this the solution or do I need something else? Has anyone converted a brake pawl to a proper handbrake?

Mike
1959 Dexta

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Mike,
My suggestion is to visit a breaker as there are a couple of bits and pieces to modify your system to the handle handbrake. I f you have the Fordson Dexta and Super Dexta1957/1964 parts list you will see on page 12 what is required, it gives a full exploded view of the handle etc. and on page 13 all the part numbers of the various parts. Its a pity you are so far away I have a spare brake handle and other parts related which you can have.

Mervyn.

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

Crikey do I need all those parts? I'm not at all confident I can get all these from a breaker. Maybe book a hol in South Africa :beer:

Mike
1959 Dexta

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

You are welcome to visit Mike, where do you live?

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Mike, if you don't mind can you take some pics of your current system please, you may be surprised that you may have most of the stuff.

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

Hope these help!

best regards

Mike
1959 Dexta

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

Hi Mervyn
thanks for the advice, I have now worked out what I need!

best regards

Mike
1959 Dexta

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

Same latch as mine, also 1959. Mind you, yours has more paint. :D

Wee59dexta
True Blue

Post by Wee59dexta »

Mike,
Thank you so much for this post. I've the exact same pawl set up as your (59 Dexta) however my pawl is very badly worn. I've been trying to look for a replacement for years but to no avail. I am definitely now interested also in converting to a handbrake. Thank you Mervyn for the advice. I've now got to get the thinking cap on and start contacting breakers. It's a shame there's no retrofit kit 😬

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Mike, thank you for going to the effort of taking those pictures. To me you won't need too many items the biggest being the hand brake itself. I purchased the part that fits onto the mudguard a little while ago and it was a very good replica, if I recall it was through Agriline Products. Fortunately the pawl was okay.
I wish you both well in finding what is required, my offer still stands just the shipping may cost you a bit. :(