Running a log splitter

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
AndyRo
Not Quite Blue Yet

Running a log splitter

Post by AndyRo »

Folks,

Some advice again would be appreciated. I wish to purchase a log splitter to use with my Super Dexta. Wondering which type would be best for the power that my dexta can produce?

My father in law has a hydraulic/oil pipe one that I haven't tried on my dexta yet but which he tells me needs a lot of power as it works very slow even with his Ford 4000. Would this just be this particular model of log splitter being very heavy or would all oil types be the same?

Or would I be better with a PTO version? I have seen a video on youtube of a PTO version on a standard dexta and it runs very quick and goes through larger logs no problem. If this would be better, what would I need for this setup to work as I have never used the PTO? Don't I need a PTO shaft?

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Running a log splitter

Post by Billy26F5 »

If a bigger tractor struggles I don't think your Super Dexta would manage it. If you use a PTO one you need to see what it's like. If it's linkage mounted you will need a PTO shaft.
Other systems will work, here's a PTO hydraulic pump directly mounted on Davie.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

All tractor hydraulic systems work at a similar pressure, it’s the flow rate that varies. The Dexta will power an hydraulic splitter as well as anything, it may just be slower (though not much worse than a 4000)

AndyRo
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by AndyRo »

Thanks guys. Will have to get the father in laws splitter hooked up and see how it goes.

Daves rusty bits
True Blue

Post by Daves rusty bits »

As previously said, most tractors pump oil at a similar rate, its the splitter makes the difference because of the size and length of stroke of the ram. My advice would be try and see one or two working before you decide. Something I wish I`d seen before I bought was an auto return where the splitter goes back up to a preset height automatically while you pick up the next log, but I`m more than happy with what I`ve got, it saves a lot of back ache! I`ve heard the cone type splitters run off the PTO can cause the shaft to twist off if used for green wood but I`ve no experience of them at all.Dave
1960 Power Major, 1975 International 475 - well no ones perfect.

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

No, tractors don’t pump at a similar rate. They work at a similar pressure, but with greatly differing gallons per minute delivery.
See how long it takes to tip a trailer with a Dexta, then compare with a modern tractor which almost ‘flicks’ the load out. A bigger ram will take longer to extend, but produce more force.

AndyRo
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by AndyRo »

Thanks guys. Was doing some research and saw this video on YouTube of a standard Dexta and log splitter. Seems to be PTO driven, so I take it the splitter has it's own pump which the PTO powers? Seems to be very quick.

Think the make of log splitter is Posch. Don't know what tonnage though. I've sent an email to JAS P Wilson in Scotland who I believe stocks this brand.

YouTube video is available at the following link:

https://youtu.be/oQnsmshxA2I

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

I run an Oxdale logsplitter on my Dexta and have found it to be good under most conditions.
See http://www.oxdaleproducts.co.uk/log-spl ... g-splitter
Like most older Dexters, when they were designed the Hydraulics was sufficient for the day to run single rams such as tipping trailers where sufficient flow and pressure to tip a 3 ton load was fine.
Running more demanding modern devices shows up the Dexta's age but hey lets enjoy the old girls capabilities viewed under these circumstances.
I'm splitting Ash and Sycamore rounds up to 30" diameter and 15" long and so long as you approach the problem I've not had any cause to complain.
My Tuppence worth :)
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

AndyRo
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by AndyRo »

Thanks Jerry. That looks a good one and I can see a stockist near me so will check them out.

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Remember you will have to modify your rear axle filler plug to accommodate a return Hydraulic line.
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I would get another non original plug to modify, so the original one is on when you're not using the log splitter and keeping the dirt out.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

AndyRo
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by AndyRo »

Yeah, think I was advised to do that previously and the guy that works at my dexta was for drilling out the original but I stopped him until I get a replacement. Where can I get a good non original one to drill out and thread?

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I think most aftermarket suppliers have them.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Don't get an alloy one as there isn't much metal left when you've drilled out a hole for a 3/4"BSP thread.
Try this one: https://www.mayhilltractors.com/index.p ... iller+plug
I have had my filler fitted with a return now for over 12 years and have never encountered a problem with dirt. Use quick release couplings- no problem.
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK

Les bryant
True Blue

Post by Les bryant »

use water pipe reducing bush and tee .

AndyRo
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by AndyRo »

Thanks guys. I've a new transmission filler plug ordered 👍

AndyRo
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by AndyRo »

Guys, got an Oxdale TM400 log splitter and have it working the on the rear of my dexta. Trying to split ash and it generally works the best, but sometimes just lodges in the log, but maybe this is tough wood and the limitations of the splitter and dexta have been discovered and something I have to live with.

I have another query now in regards to the lift. I would like to raise the lig splitter to waist height (so as not to hurt my poor back further). When I do so and then have to pull out the auxiliary service black button and raise the lift control lever to get the oil flowing to the splitter, when I want to finish splitting and push the black button in again, the lift arms raise up with the lift control lever being up.

I have to try and remember before disengaging the oil from the auxiliary service to try and get the lift control lever down to the position I think my splitter is presently sitting at, and despite my best judgement I can never get the lift control lever to the exact same position and the splitter either jerks up or down. Is this normal and something else I have to live with or is there a way around this when diverting the oil back from the auxiliary service to the lift arms?

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Use the adjustable stop on the quadrant to mark the position.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Re the wedge sticking in the wood, I have a short length of wood (9" x 3" x 3") which is attached by a length of cord so that it hangs close to the wedge. If the wedge gets stuck then placing the length between the top of the log and the underside of the ram and raising the wedge so that the wood forces the log off the wedge. With large dia rounds I find splitting along the rings towards the edge gets you going. It comes down to familiarity.
Mature Elm has given me a few headaches but once you start nibbling then it gives.
IMHO
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK

AndyRo
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by AndyRo »

Thanks again folks. Will no doubt get the hang of it over time.

Believe it or not I've another query :D

Do I need to have the the small knob above the main black auxiliary service one screwed all the way in or out. This is the part that seems spring loaded and also has a metal link to the main lift control lever, which hits it and turns this piece a certain way when fully raised. Should this be doing this? Is this the flow control?