Leaking Fuel Pipes

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
charlie63
True Blue

Leaking Fuel Pipes

Post by charlie63 »

Well its been a while since I have posted anything.
Hopefully everyone is managing to stay clear of this COVID thing.
Back to the subject of leaking fuel pipes.
For the life of me I just cannot seem to get my fuel pipes at the lift pump and fuel cut off tap to seal and stop leaking fuel. I have tried making new pipes myself and flaring the ends, making pipes and purchasing olives and fitting them and have even purchased new ready made pipes with the olives / ends already fitted all to no avail. I have even had to replace the lift pump top due to me thinking just another little nip up will seal them resulting in cracking the housing. Has anyone any experience in using the rubber olives that are on the market and had success with them? This is the only thing that I have not tried and would appreciate any feedback/ comments.

Charlie.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Leaking Fuel Pipes

Post by Billy26F5 »

I don't know anything about these rubber olives, but I'm a bit surprised that none of the other actions stopped the leaks. Check the nuts can go in enough, as otherwise you will have a leak; you should also clean everything to make sure there's a good seal.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

If you are really desperate try running some solder around the olives once you have them firm on the pipe. The soft solder might give you the seal you want. Are the male threads cracked?
IMHO
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Thanks for the replies guys much appreciated.
Sandy,
Everything is spotless. The first set of pipes I made I used the old original unions. When they didnt seal I purchased new unions and checked the length of them to make sure they went all the way home and they were actually a bit longer than the originals.

Jerry,
That is something I could try. the male thread on the outlet of the lift pump did have a hairline crack in it as this happened when I attempted to nip up the pipes just that little bit more so ended up replacing the top housing of the lift pump.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Charlie, sorry to hear of your difficulties. Some advice I was given some advice to have the olive setback at least 2mm beyond the pipe/tube end. I did try the rubber olives but in my case the pipe was never tight in the nut :?:. I do hope you manage to sort out the problem.
Mervyn.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Hi Mervyn good to hear from you.
When I did make up the pipes myself using olives I did make sure they were set back a bit from the end of the pipe as the pipe seats inside the housing as well as the olive supposed to seal against the internal face of the housing. I did notice that the pipes I bought were not like that and the olives we re right at the end. I am still away until mid January so wont get a chance to look at this until I am back again. Hopefully try these rubber sealing olives and see what happens.

Charlie.