Super Dexta Water pump backing plate

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bazzer
Not Quite Blue Yet

Super Dexta Water pump backing plate

Post by Bazzer »

Hi guy's, quick bit of advice if possible please.
Removed the waterpump from our 1963 Super, and have the dreaded corrosion to the alloy timing cover. That's not a problem to sort but there was no plate between pump and cover.
So my question's are - if anyone can help me!:
1. Should there be a plate?
2. Do I have to fit one (Presume correct anti-freeze will help stop future corrosion to a degree) or can I just use a gasket between pump and alloy cover as I took off.
3. If I were to make a brass plate up does anyone know the thickness of material to use? maybe 2mm or 3mm brass sheet.

Thanks for any help.
Barry

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Super Dexta Water pump backing plate

Post by Billy26F5 »

I think the plate is available from aftermarket suppliers. You do need it, you'll also need a new gasket. Proper coolant will avoid corrosion.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Bazzer
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Bazzer »

Yes thought would be the case.
I can see plates for Massey's but not the Dexta - would you happen to know of any UK suppliers? - I've Goggled several of the usual suppliers.

Thanks Sandy

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Any of those MF ones will be fine as long as they fit the Perkins P3 derivatives (Dexta and MF 35) and are brass.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

no plate when I did mine a few years ago :D

Bazzer
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Bazzer »

Thanks for that Brian.
Interesting as we have had the tractor in the family since 1963 albeit wasn't original water pump I took off. Would seem strange though not to have replaced the brass plate if indeed it was ever fitted hence my asking.
I'm carrying out a full engine rebuild (this weekend actually) so I think I'll use something to help protect the alloy cover - I guess belt alignment will be effected to a degree with or without the plate, albeit marginal.

On another note for others, I went with OLD 20 Tractor Parts for the New Performance Grey (Vapormatic) for wheels - only the wheels (as they were very rough) are getting a lick of paint - rest will be original patina!.
Whilst the tractor has been painted throughout it's life, I can see this colour matched well to some areas that are still showing original paint!
Thought I'd share what I've done to show this paint on the rear wheels - also very suprising how the colour changes with the light!

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

In order to compare the colours you need to clean the original paint with a rag, then match the new colour adding in other ones.
Belt alignment is only right when the plate is there.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Bazzer
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Bazzer »

Yep, makes sense.
I've a plate coming too so I have my options now!
Cheers

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

nice and shiny wheels you have there, Seems like you put some bought some new boots for it as well.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Bazzer
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Bazzer »

Yea, going the full hog!!
It's my parents Super NP bought from new that fell into a bad state.
I've decided to bring her back to life, mechanically I want her as good as I can get but maintaining original Patina (Except wheels that I had to weld up because they corroded through so they were painted, fronts too all with new boots).
So rebuilt front axle, bearings, trunnion pins (all the usual), rad, Engine - fitted new pistons / liners, crank ground, etc, Oil pump, Head done, Fuel pump had collapsed but my local fuel injection chaps have managed to rebuild the original Minimec P4696.
Fuel tank repaired (7 splits !), Steering Box rebuilt, electrics will be gone through, loom, switches, starter, etc, Transmission sills/gaskets as I go (I'll wait until I start her to find out what's going on with the hydraulics)
I've managed to salvage virtually all the original parts and made repair wherever possible, even worn bolts with the original "Ford" logo on I've welded and turned back down......hence why I still want the original paint look.
To be honest it's been a great project during these difficult times - although getting costly!!
It will be great to see my dad drive her again.

Here's how I found her in the back of one of the shed's !