First Tractor Restore

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Shetland_D
Not Quite Blue Yet

First Tractor Restore

Post by Shetland_D »

Hello all,

What a great forum you have here.

A Dexta has been passed down to me recently and I'm looking to do a full restoration. I have decent basic mechanic skills and plenty patience so I'm looking forward to it. The tractor has been maintained on a shoe-string by it's previous owner (the bonnet has been cut to accommodate a larger battery....)

I have a few questions I'm hoping you can help with:
1. The tractor comes with no paperwork at all. I understand I can get chassis number/engine number off of the tractor, but how do I go about registering with the DVLA?

2. What is the general opinion of using modern equivalents vs reconditioned originals? I understand the modern reproduction parts aren't always the best quality, but does it have an impact on the value of the tractor? I'm looking to sell on once I'm done.

3. Any general tips or common pitfalls I should bear in mind? I already have the workshop manual and parts list.

Thank you

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: First Tractor Restore

Post by Billy26F5 »

That looks like you're in for a big one. If it runs you'll need to sort cosmetic things only provided it runs well, but if not you'll probably need to get inside to see what things are like. Repro parts are in the land of nearly right only, so if you want it to look convincingly original you'll need original parts. As for registering it you'll need the serial number, engine number and all the casting codes to show the DVLA what you're registering, others here know about registering in more detail as I've never done that.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

Great to have you on board Billy, contact Bryan Williamson from Scottish Vintage Tractor and Engine Club he is the registration man for the club, he should keep you right. tel.07754 243539 good luck, Brian Cox , Perth :beer:

Bluebilly
True Blue

Post by Bluebilly »

As the guys say, its fairly straight forward. I'm a member of the Ayrshire Vintage tractor club and we have a guy who helps us through the process and I've done it a few times now. I needed the serial number and two photos taken from the front on either side, so that the age could be verified. There is a form to fill in and I also had to send in a copy of my driving license and a utility bill as proof of address. normally it is fairly quick, but the last one took a while longer due to Covid. On each occasion I got an age related plate.
1948 E27N
1958 Dexta
Roadless 75
TEF 20
MF135 multipower
MF 165
MF 240
SAME Solar 60

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi and welcome to a large group of very knowledgeable people who are only too willing to help :)
You haven't said what your end intention for the tractor will be.
Is it for day to day use such as ploughing, trailer work etc of is it going to be a full restoration back to original?
Your wiring looks a mess, I produced a rewiring guide for fellow Dexta owners which will bring your tractor up to safe use on the road. Brake lights, indicators and a trailer socket and fitting an alternator.
You can find the info here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1354 If you need any further assitance please don't hesitate to ask as we all started from humble beginings :)
Cheers
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Shetland_D
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Shetland_D »

Thank you all for your replies and information, especially regarding registration I thought that was going to be a nightmare.

To answer your question Jerry about my end goal, I guess it partly depends on the condition of it all when I eventually get underway.
I think the most realistic aim would be to get it back to a working machine using a mixture of genuine and reproduction parts.

Thank you greatly for the wiring info. You are right, it's an absolute mess at the moment. The "aftermarket" front lights did give me chuckle.

I've ordered what I think will be the minimum needed to go for a start. New rocker cover, fuel lines, exhaust manifold and of course a new battery.

I'm due to have it delivered from the croft to the garage in the next week or so. I'm sure I'll be back with many more questions.

Matthew

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Mine was restored over 15 years ago and still earns it's keep. Out today with my Logsplitter on to clear a pile of log rings that were getting wet so that's the start of next winters log pile. Started the other day in -2 deg, the battery needed some assistance but it fired up ok. I have a Trailer, Topper, Cordwood saw, Log splitter, Crane and a heavy duty winching frame so it is used often. Next to use is the winching frame to extract some Ash trees I felled on my field embankment then on to a neighbours to recover a fallen tree that's gone across a brook. I'm 73 so it keeps me active!!
Enjoy your Dexta!
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

I’m wondering what you’ll do with those mudguards. Probably homemade, but sound-looking and functional.