Cylinder liner scoring

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bounce
Not Quite Blue Yet

Cylinder liner scoring

Post by Bounce »

I’m at the stage of reassembling the engine on the Dexta, it’s got the new liners in and it’s back from the engineers workshop after boring and honing and new crank is in.

I installed piston 1&2 without a problem, got no 3 started but didn’t feel quite right pulled it back out and found that I’d managed to damage the bottom oil control ring, but was pleased to see no damage to the liner. While waiting on the new rings to be delivered, I was looking over the liners and I have noticed that I have somehow managed to very slightly score no 2 liner. The score is right at the top of the liner, approx 15mm long (vertical) and I can only just feel it with my finger nail.

Should I be thinking about getting something done to sort this? A trip to the engineering workshop involves getting the block on a pallet and taken away by courier and is fairly pricey. I’ve been told to try honing it myself, but being a novice I’m worried I’d do more damage given how easily I managed to damage it already!

Advice greatly appreciated!

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Cylinder liner scoring

Post by mathias1 »

Hi
Bad luck, but these things happen to most of us too.
Honing isn't that difficult. You need a cordless drill and a honing tool.
I would do it, while you have the engine open.
Did you lubricate when assembling?
Do it in small steps, so you don't take off much in one time. Always go up and down doing it. (Difficult to explain, maybe a youtube video can help you explain how to do it).
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

You need to get a finish with helical scores, if they're vertical you wear the rings quickly and if they're horizontal you'll wear the ring very quickly.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Bounce
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Bounce »

Thanks for the replies.

Everything was well lubricated, not sure how I scored the liner, must have been a bit of dirt in it. Pretty sure it was me being in too much of a hurry that resulted in the damaged piston ring!

The liners have a perfect crosshatch pattern in then after being machined, what’s worrying me is doing a much less perfect job in an effort to repair a minor score that may not affect the performance of the engine at all.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

If you take your time you should get a perfectly good result.
Sandy
ImageImageImage