Dexta rear lift leaver stuck in top position

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
FerdiNL
Not Quite Blue Yet

Dexta rear lift leaver stuck in top position

Post by FerdiNL »

Hi all,

Since a week of 3 I own a narow Dexta from 1960 with a front loader and I'm having a problem with the rear lift of the tractor.
Because of the front loader the Dexta has a weight hanging in the rear lift and I'm thninking since it almost never has been used after hanging the weight on the rear the leaver is stuck in the top position.

I've already tried spraying it on several places, but so far no succes.
Looks like the friction plate is turning as far as I can move the leaver (about a cm)

With the PTO switch on the external hydraulics or on the back lift, that doesn't make a difference. When I switch it to the back the lift will come up a small bit, but because of the leaver can't brought down.

So...what to do? :scratchhead:

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Dexta rear lift leaver stuck in top position

Post by Billy26F5 »

I think you'll need to lift the top cover and look at the shaft inside, you might be able to see what has seized it up. You could also try loosening the nut to see if it will move without friction, but if you don't see inside you might find something breaks.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

FerdiNL
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by FerdiNL »

I've already tried it with the nut loosened, but it didn't change anything.

Can I lift the top cover off with the weight still in the lift?
Otherwise I can find out if gravity will make it go down.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

You'll need to remove the pins that attach the lifting rods to the arms, other than that you should be fine, although it might be easier to remove the weight for access. Watch out for high pressure oil (You'd be better to not run the engine for at least a day before you remove the top cover, to lower the risk of oil jetting out). The best option is to allow the arms to lower fully before you do this, although it's possible (but unlikely) that they hold up for three weeks or so.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

FerdiNL
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by FerdiNL »

They've made a security for the arms to rest in and keep the weight up.

In a short I will need the Dexta for the front loader, after that I will remove the security and will see what happens :)
Thanks for the quick reactions!
Last edited by FerdiNL on Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

I've seen such supports before on the a dexta, they used for spraying the crops. The probably found it easier to install supports instead of looking for the hydraulic problem.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

FerdiNL
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by FerdiNL »

In our case the tractor was used for the front loader and they used a big weight. But could be that they've secured it knowing something was wrong.

The weight lands on the security and when you switch the pto to the lift it at least goes up.
Using the front loader everything works zo my gues is that it is something in the mechanism of the leaver blocking.