Dexta two stage clutch

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
duffincart
Not Quite Blue Yet

Dexta two stage clutch

Post by duffincart »

Hi,

Has anyone got any advice for me about two stage clutches? The oil seal seal housing between bell housing and the gearbox is broken along the shaft where the thrust bearing runs, I have hopefully got a fix for that.
In the mean time I would like to split the two stage clutch to replace the friction plates while my dexta is in half. There does seem to be some wear left in the plates but I do not know the width of brand new discs. Any useful info appreciated, this is my first vintage tractor.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Dexta two stage clutch

Post by Billy26F5 »

Overhauling a dual clutch needs special tools to successfully set clearances. As for the input shaft seals it's a simple case of removing the housing, the PTO input shaft will come with it while the main input shaft will stay in, the seals are in the housing and PTO input shaft. You'd be better to replace the release and pilot bearings while you're there too, although there was a specially good pilot bearing that might be worth keeping in.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

duffincart
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by duffincart »

Thanks Sandy

Yes the clutch might be a step too far. The oil seal housing, its the actual housing its self that broken, I am hopefully on that but I could not find a new part on agrilines catalogue or other web searches, so a repair might be possible. I have not tried ringing agriline though. I will probably be asking for more advice on this if the repair strategy
does not work.

Thanks again

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Your only option on housings is a good second hand one or a repair, be careful not to distort it when sealing the leak.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Bluebilly
True Blue

Post by Bluebilly »

I changed the friction plates on mine a while ago and its not too difficult. If you have the tractor split anyway its worthwhile doing it for the cost of the plates. There is information in the workshop manual detailing the setting measurements, but I never had to adjust anything when I did mine.
If you have access to a lathe to make an alignment tool then that would make it easier. I didn't at the time, so I set the plates centrally using a set of calipers...its a bit fiddly but easy enough, I use the same method on all the clutches I do and I've never had a problem getting it all together again.
Have a go, you will get that feeling of accomplishment once its up and running again, and have the knowledge that your clutches are both in tiptop condition......there is nothing worse that the dreaded tow of shame!! :D
1948 E27N
1958 Dexta
Roadless 75
TEF 20
MF135 multipower
MF 165
MF 240
SAME Solar 60

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

For alignment of the friction plate you can use the input shafts you will be removing anyway for changing the seal.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

duffincart
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by duffincart »

Thank you for the help so far, mulling it all over. Good to know I don't have to waste my time searching for a new housing, I didn't see any second hand ones on the internet either, so I'll try the repair. For most of my working life I had access to a lathe but sadly no more. Psyching up to try the clutch repair, trying to think of a method to take the pressure off the springs at the moment. All part of the fun. Does anybody have the width dimension of new friction discs please. They actually look good, dilema between repair oil seal housing so thrust bearing can move full distance then put it together and see. Or get the clutch good as new before putting back together with a little bit of extra stress. Thank you gentlemen for your advice. If you have the dimension of new discs and info on spring removal please post it.

Regards

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

You can remove the springs with a valve spring compressor I think.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Johnmcm
True Blue

Post by Johnmcm »

Do you know about the Tractormec.co.uk DVD’s. He does one on the Dexta dual clutch.
Trailers on YouTube
Regards

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I didn't know about them, looks quite good and from the pics nearby they seem to be using the special tools.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

duffincart
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by duffincart »

Thanks again for posting help and information, good news is I have managed to source a breakers who are sending me a new oil seal housing. When that arrives I will decide on new clutch or attempt a clutch rebuild.
Regards Mark

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

I have attempted to rebuild a number of worn dual clutches, without success. If there is a lot of play in the pivot pins for the fingers I found that fitting new friction discs resulted in the clutch becoming inoperative, due to insufficient travel of the the thee fingers. I have even re-bushed the holes for the pivots and fitted new pins and still the clutch wouldn't operate correctly. Bear in mind that any slack or wear at the outer end of the fingers is multiplied at the inner end and requires far more travel of the release bearing.

In view of the amount of work which you are already involved in I would suggest that you consider fitting a new clutch assembly which will last a lifetime.

Gerald

duffincart
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by duffincart »

Thanks Gerald

It pains me to run away from a challenge but earlier on today I ordered a new clutch. So you are making me feel a lot better, as you say plenty to do besides the clutch and I am on the bottom of a learning curve, loving it though.
Regards Mark

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Good to see you back Gerald, I need to have another chat. Apologies for gate crashing this post.
Mervyn.

duffincart
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by duffincart »

Hi
I thought i had better start with a thank you to all who helped me on replacing my clutch.
Prompted by the fact i need advice again, guilty as charged
I bought a new one and got it back reasonably stressless. The advice that repairing my old one might be a task too far was followed. Its been an off and on project after the clutch i have replaced clutch pto lever bush and seal which gave a opportunity to clean out and replace rear axle oil and repair hydraulic lift lever. Various leaks sorted, replaced a few wrong size or missing set screws and bolts, ha ha. Replaced oil pressure gauge which had a wood screw to blank it off with a sender. Engine and gearbox oils replaced. Shims removed and seals replaced on steering box. Only a little rusty water was in the bottom of the box upon inspection. Working on battery area tinwork and wiring at the moment.
I am going to post topics on the steering nut and electrical wiring.
I am led to believe there is a possibly bad batch of steering nuts around at the moment.
The electrical issue is the only diagram i can find has a four terminal regulator.
My set up is five terminal regulator E,F,D,A andA1 with a light switch and key switch combined. I think i have sussed it but a diagram would remove doubt.
Kind regards

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Look at this diagram, from the early instruction book (elsewhere on the forum).
http://web.archive.org/web/201404080825 ... _isf35.jpg
Sandy
ImageImageImage

duffincart
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by duffincart »

Thank you
Regards Mark