Help please!! Battery still on when switch off

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
GMJH1965
Not Quite Blue Yet

Help please!! Battery still on when switch off

Post by GMJH1965 »

I have a Fordson Super Dexta with new wiring loom and Control box from Agriline, 2 years ago. It gave me seemingly good service until recently. My son destroyed the engine last year and I have eventually rebuilt it. We eventually got it started 2 weeks ago and warmed it up before retightening cylinder head bolts.
Then stopped it and turned it off, but instead of turning off the oil gauge bulb increased in brightness. It does go off if the cable to oil pressure switch is disconnected or battery terminal disconnected. Had dash off and no loose wires, isolating the on/off switch doesn't work, checked connections to control box.
Nothing seems to work!! My wife thought it would be a good rebuild job for me after a brain injury..........but now it just feels like an albatross round my neck!!!
a definite despondent newbie!

Emiel
True Blue

Re: Help please!! Battery still on when switch off

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

May be your control box is internally wrong and sends current to the ignition light when tractor switched off?

Thd ignition light and oil light are somehow connected under the dash if I remember correctly.
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Sounds like a wiring problem and maybe a faulty oil pressure switch. Check the wiring carefully according to the original diagram, making sure everything is where it should be.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Bluebilly
True Blue

Post by Bluebilly »

Check where the power to the warning light is coming from. It sounds like it is powered from a live feed from the battery. If you have an ignition switch, and its powered from there, make sure it is connected to the correct terminal. It will probably be a fairly simple fix, just look for a feed that is live when the engine is running and dead when its stopped.
1948 E27N
1958 Dexta
Roadless 75
TEF 20
MF135 multipower
MF 165
MF 240
SAME Solar 60

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

If your wiring is correct I think this is wat happens. The control box does not cut out when you turn of the engine. This means D and F in the control box is not disconnected. When you turn of ignition the wire from terminal D on the dynamo powers the charge light. This one does not light up because not connected to earth, but it lets current through. The charge light feeds the oil pressure light via the a cable which connects oil light and charge lift to the switched feed from the ignition (on heater switch btw). If the engine doesn’t run, the oil pressure switch earths and the oil light comes up.

Your oil pressure switch seems perfect to me.

The battery charging will be bad as well I think.

To prove my theory, disconnect D connection on generator. Correction, disconnect from control box.

Rgds
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964