Super Dexta 1964 Handbrake only brakes Right wheel

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
GMJH1965
Not Quite Blue Yet

Super Dexta 1964 Handbrake only brakes Right wheel

Post by GMJH1965 »

Hi
Got the electrics fixed and foot brakes work well, but handbrake pull up ratchet only brakes the right hand wheel. Had read somewhere that you have to use foot brake first and then apply handbrake but once again this only works on the right hand side. Have checked manuals, forums etc but can’t see how it can hold the left hand side as the handbrake just moves on the tube?
Any ideas?
Thanks

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Super Dexta 1964 Handbrake only brakes Right wheel

Post by Billy26F5 »

You'll need to adjust the handbrake so it moves the LH brake too, adjust the stop on the camshaft lever to 0.010" from the handbrake camshaft lever on the tube.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

Lock the pedals.

GMJH1965
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by GMJH1965 »

Hi
Did of course have the brake pedals locked!
I am intrigued with Sandy reply as I wish I could find more on this! So my understanding is that the adjustable cam for the foot pedal braking affect which in this case seems seized / rusted to the shaft should be adjusted to be 0.1 from the cam of the handbrake? But there is nothing to lock the handbrake cam which moves?🤔 Any further advice would be appreciated!!!!
Thanks

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Could you post some pics please? Then we might see that something is missing or damaged.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

fredthedog
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fredthedog »

I believe the handbrake should work on both wheels and is independent of the pedal being latches together.

Check the linkages that use the cross link bracket that runs under the tractor, you should see them move as the handbrake lever is moved, they operate onto cams for the usual footbrake rods.

Apols I can't send a pic at present!
trying to fix the father in law's Dexta!

fredthedog
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fredthedog »

Hi again
i did find an old photo (but can't seem to post), I'd suggest (as if the handbrake mounted on the LHS is operating the brake on the RHS) the cross linkages are working but the adjustment screw and locknut from the handbrake shaft are loose/missing, meaning the handbrake shaft does not operate the LHS brake. This is directly connected to the handbrake shaft.

The handbrake should be moving the LHS brake shaft when the lever is pulled.

Do the brakes work normally on the pedal? If not, then perhaps you have oil contamination in the drums (a common problem)
Found this pic.... The vertical 'tangy' piece that has no holes, acts upon the screw and locknut to then operate the LHS brake shaft

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193409585416 ... gKq7_D_BwE

The forward facing lever (with the hole) uses the cross linkages (they lift when handbrake operates) to transmit the force to the RHS for the RHS brake.

hope this helps! regards N

GMJH1965
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by GMJH1965 »

I have dismantled the left side hub as I was told jiggling it around may help. I must admit for a fraction of a second it may have worked but then off course I have to adjust the brakes again to even them up! I do have some images and will post them up when I have worked out how!

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

Old Hywel wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:14 am
Lock the pedals.
Applicable to ‘latch by your heel’ system, never thought of another type.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Here's how to post pics.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5024
Sandy
ImageImageImage

fredthedog
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fredthedog »

Hi all

If the footpedal operates the LHS brake then I expect the issue is with the linkages between the handbrake lever and the LHS brake operating shaft

Thanks for the link on posting hopefully you can see referenced image

FYI
1. Brake shaft, this rotates slightly to apply the LHS brake shoes
2. The handbrake pivot shaft, this rotates freely on (1) and is not physically attached (usually greased)
3. Hard to see but this is the 'vertical tangy' piece I mentioned in my earlier post, this moves when the handbrake moves and acts upon....
4. The adjustable machine screw that is ultimately attached to (1) to operate the LHS brake drum
5. Is the cross shaft used to apply the RHS brake (attached by drop link to the forward facing lever on the handbrake)
6. Is the footbrake rod used to apply the LHS brake when the LHS brake pedal is depressed

Based on posts/discussion I would suspect you have an issue with items 3 and 4!

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on! In fact I'm really impressed with Fordson, a great simple design that allows a handbrake to operate whilst not impacting the operation of the footbrakes!

:) N

GMJH1965
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by GMJH1965 »

Hi all!,
Thanks for all the helpful hints! I’m not 100% sure what helped the most but by jiggling the left hand shoe again, readjusting the brakes again so they come on at the same time and slackening the adjustment bolt which works against the hand brake I now seem to have a hand brake!! Not exactly sure how good it is but does hold on a slope.
Thanks!!