Rebuilt engine running rough

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bounce
Not Quite Blue Yet

Rebuilt engine running rough

Post by Bounce »

I got my rebuilt engine running last week, but I’m not happy with how it’s running. It starts very easily but has a slight misfire, lots of white/grey smoke and what seems like a bit of a diesel knock. I have checked and rechecked all the timing marks and the valve clearances all as per the book. The engine smoked really bad before the rebuild as well.

It’s been suggested to me that I should retard the spill timing on the injection pump (1963 Dexta - mechanical governor) to try and smooth it out, has anyone any experience of this? And if this were to sort it what would cause the pump timing to be out, when it’s lined up with the marks?

Thanks

Emiel
True Blue

Re: Rebuilt engine running rough

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

Did you time the injection to the 20 or 26 degrees mark on the flywheel?

The mechanical should be the 20 degrees setting. The knocking indicates to early injection I think.

Regards emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Your pump may need recalibrating but to get rid of the smoke you'll need to get a good day's work with a plough or cultivator. That should clear the smoke, but if it makes no impact, you'll need to check the pump and the injectors. Timing is 20ºBTDC, the second mark on the flywheel.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Bounce
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Bounce »

Yes it’s the 20degree mark I’ve timed it to. The only thing that I’ve not had done for the rebuild is having the pump looked at. I’ll try to retard it slightly before I send it for a refurb.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Don't change the timing, send it to the calibrating machine as it might well be out. The phasing must be correct, or you will get a knock on one cylinder, it's vital to try to avoid this as much as possible, as the unbalanced running makes it more prone to stalling. Incorrect fuel delivery will also do that, but to a lesser extent.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Bounce
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Bounce »

Got the pump back from refurb - engine running perfectly now!

The only problem now is the new injector lines I got from Agriline, none of which fitted without some degree of re-adjustment, but the line on no.1 is pouring out at the pump end as though I haven’t even tightened it. Any suggestions on how I could seal this up?

Thanks

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Inspect the fit of the olive, Agriline haven't got their pipes quite right, which is not good.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Definitely had issues with some of the quality of parts from Agriline. I mainly use Anglo Agriparts or APUK Online now, not much different in price but alot better quality!
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost