New electrical harness.

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

New electrical harness.

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Folk, I bought a harness for my Dexta some time back through Sp@#$%. Does the harness get supplied with wires to the front and rear lights or is that left up to you to make up those wire leads? I was only supplied with call it the main harness not the extension wires/leads.

Brian Cox
True Blue

Re: New electrical harness.

Post by Brian Cox »

When I did mine ten years ago it was the lot :beer:

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Thanks for your response Brian, may I ask who you bought your new harness from? I bought this harness around 2005 and its been sitting around gathering dust since. I guess I will just have to make up those missing leads myself. :cry: :beer:
Mervyn.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I recommend you follow the original diagram to make it easier when you next have trouble, as otherwise you'll have to make a new diagram to suit your wiring.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

Most of the parts I used were from Agriline, so I'm sure it must have been from them :clap:

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Cool, thanks Brian. I shall not be entertaining Sparex again. :curse:

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

Mervyn, phone Agriline and confirm it's the full wiring harness

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Good morning Brian,
Good idea, I will give Oli a call tomorrow and hear what he says. I was watching a video this morning about a fella reoplacing his burnt out harness and he had a new harness from Agriline, unfortunately his video did not show him fitting the new harness. I should actually send this guy a message and hear what he has to say. Charlie, on the group if he still occasionally logs on to the forum might also be able to help, as he has also if my mind serves me correctly has had to buy a new harness. Anyway lets see what I can establish in the new week. Thanks again Brian :beer:
Mervyn.

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

In my experience the harnesses do not include the full length of cable needed for the lights, they usually terminate with a set of bullets (two at the front for the headlights and one near the control box for the rears, grounds are picked up locally via a suitably cleaned bolt/stud),

I am literally just making up the extension bits (not tricky) to connect my lights up.(yes, finally finishing it after all these years!)

I should add, my loom came from Autosparks as the Agriline (and others are the same) supplied one was utter rubbish both in quality, finish, and colour coding to the original drawing.
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Thanks for confirming whwat was supplied to me Russel, I was going to give Agriline a call but now that you have confirmed what is supplied I shall give it a miss.
Mervyn.

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

I did submit a post some years ago on modernising your Dexta wiring to accommodate Indicators, Brake lights, a Trailer socket and an Alternator if it's any help. Not a difficult job and if your on the road makes you a bit safer in today's driving world.
cheers
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Good morning Jerry, thank you I did see your modernised wiring diagram, looks good. Jerry could you please if possible put up a couple of pictures of your wiring. One point I am pondering on at the moment is how the wiring from my grill lights would be routed up to the top radiator/cone brackets and beyond.
Mervyn.

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi all and replying to Mervyn
Dexta photo's can be viewed here :https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Due to the current English weather (It's throwing it down!!) I haven't been able to take any photo's of my Dexta with the wiring to the headlights. My loom goes up the bulkhead and across the engine to the cowl brackets and from there loop down to each headlight. I don't have recessed on my working Dexta so I'll have to unsheet one of my "Work in Progress" ones to photo the loom route as they are untouched (Yet!)
Cheers
Jerry BTW one of the photo's I have shared is a novel way of overcoming the heater/hand pump problems. Just remove the heater, insert a plumbing ball valve and then attach a cup. To start all you have to do is light up a handheld gas blowlamp, open the valve with the flame in the cup and crank it over! Simples!!
Cheers
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Jerry, thank you for your much appreciated detailed report on how your grill lights are wired plain and simple. My front nose cone is made up of 70% DEXTA bottom and from the seem up is of the Super Dexta so I don't have any previous clips to secure the wires, so your expination of how your wires run will be what I shall do thanks. Also thank you for the link to your pictures, I like your upgraded heater system very clever but here in South Africa where I live it won't be necessary. I am sorry about all the rain you folk are experiencing, I have a daughter across there and she reports the same story. So when does your spring start? Not nice for the farmers who are I would imagine are dying to get going with planting their crops.
Jerry last night I was searching for an original on/off ignition switch for my tractor and I happened to come across your article "FordsonDexta Wiring - For road use, under Vintage Tractor Engineer, quite a coincedence. I emailed it to my pc so I can keep it on hand :clap:
Mervyn.

Daves rusty bits
True Blue

Post by Daves rusty bits »

Hi Mervyn, been reading your posts with interest for ages, a friend of mine has been re wiring a Messersmitt buble car over some time, he works and can only do a bit now and again. To minimise mistakes he laid the old loom on a sheet of plywood on the floor and drew a life sized diagram with wire colour codes and named terminals untill he was sure he had an actual sized exact copy of the origonal.
I thought this was a bit OTT but useful, but he is making his own loom and says its saved him hours of headscratching since he drew it, and he can nail it to the wall for future reference. Dave
1960 Power Major, 1975 International 475 - well no ones perfect.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Dave, thank you for your interest in my post. Sounds like your friend has wonderful plan thank you for sharing it. Unfortunately my original loom is in tatters,when I bought my Dexta back in 2004 the tractor was a wreck, oil leaking everywhere no lights and as I said the electric loom was almost nil.
Take care Dave nice to hear from you. :beer:
Regards Mervyn.

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi
I've been down to my field (between rain showers!) to take a look at the wiring on my Dexta's. I have four but one is just a rolling chassis. My runner has my headlight loom run from under the fuel tank by the battery tray up past the Air filter and then follows the fuel return line across the top of the rocker cover. It is terminated there with connectors and a pair of wires is then run under the cowl stays out to each headlight which are mounted on the side.
The other two (Standard and a Super) have the headlight wires coming out of the original loom just by the Generator. The loom then goes up to a P clip above the Generator mounting bracket. From there it drops down the right hand side of the Rad to the inset headlights. An earth is made to the underside of the cowl.
Hope this helps
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Jerry, Bless you for all your efforts I really did not mean you to go down into the field in your dredful weather. I imagined your Dexta's to be snug in a garage close by. Thank you for your detailed explination on the wiring of your Dexta with grill lights, I have printed a copy of your detail and will go and see how I can manage.
I hope the weather clears up for you folk next month so you can enjoy some sunshine, take care. We are enjoying such gloriuos sunny warm days at the moment what a lovely time of the year.
Kind regards
Mervyn. :beer:

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi Mervyn
This video might be of use to you :)
Cheers
Jerry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwBah61X25U
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Jerry, thank you for sharing the You Tube Link, I have watched it probably twice and yes I did find it helpful. Just waiting to see if he might post a further update. He has certainly highlighted where the harniss travels under the fuel tank and then distributes from there. Thanks again for your continued help. :beer:
Kind regards
Mervyn.