Super Dexta spill off question

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Dexta1987
Not Quite Blue Yet

Super Dexta spill off question

Post by Dexta1987 »

Hi all,
Have a question you might be able to answer for me, my new performance super dexta starts very quick from cold and fires on all cylinders with no missing or white smoke and settles to nice idle after 20 or 30 seconds of running, giving me the impression of a good condition injector pump & injectors.
However, I see no diesel in the leak off pipe from all three injectors, not a dribble. I've removed the pipe and is not blocked in any way. Our old super dexta 30years ago used to have a slow trickle into the tank from the leak off but nothing at all on my current tractor.
Any ideas why I'm seeing nothing here?
Is my pump not delivering enough fuel/pressure?
Tractor is taking full throttle and plenty power with no black smoke of note, so why nothing in the leak off?
Will the injectors wear out if no leak off means no luring of them?
Appreciate your thoughts....

Dexta1987

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Super Dexta spill off question

Post by Billy26F5 »

Your injectors seem very good indeed, the leak-off is for when the fuel ouses past the needle valve when under pressure, if nothing comes out it means the needle valve is well sealed and you will get full power (from the injectors, worn bores could counter that effect), so happy running.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Dexta1987
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dexta1987 »

Hi,
Thanks a mill for your reply. Am I wrong all along in thinking that I should be seeing some fuel flowing back into the tank from the spill pipe? I had assumed that a certain amount is needed to lube the top of the injectors? Maybe I am wrong and there is nothing wrong with a dry spill pipe?
If that's the case then yes my injectors are spot on as the tractor starts super easy and practically no diesel smoke.
J.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The only part of the injector that needs diesel lubrication is the needle valve, which is always in contact with it. You might well find after a few hard runs some fuel is there, as it will eventually find its way through, remember that if there has been a long standing period, a loose pipe would have caused the fuel in there to leak out.
Just enjoy your Super Dexta.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Dexta1987
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dexta1987 »

I most certainly will.
Thanks again Sandy