Starter Solenoid

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Dextapaul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Starter Solenoid

Post by Dextapaul »

Hello all, nearly there with my restoration :D - can anyone tell me exactly where the starter solenoid should be located within the battery compartment please? There are no witness marks from where is was originally fixed and i'd like to keep it as near to original as possible - Cheers, Paul

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Starter Solenoid

Post by Billy26F5 »

Mounted on the far RH side of the fuel tank bracket just behind the air filter with the button downwards, you should find a couple of holes for it there.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Dextapaul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dextapaul »

Brilliant, thanks Sandy, there are indeed two holes hiding away which match up nicely with the hole centres on the new Lucas solenoid i have bought. The description in the old Fordson manual i am using directs me to fit it to the bulkhead..which i didn't fancy drilling for obvious reasons :?
This refurb has been going on for so long that unfortunately I have lost the original photos i took before/during dismantling.

One further question if i can.. I have attached the lead from the solenoid to the starter, there are two studs to choose from. The wiring diagram shows one stud connected to the solenoid, and the other stud to the body of the tractor.
Which stud is which (Does it matter?) and how is it earthed to the body?
I get it that the battery is positive earth

Appreciated, thank you :D
Last edited by Dextapaul on Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Positive earth indeed. Ford used the front terminal for the battery and the rear one for the starter, but it doesn't matter, make sure you connect the lead from the wiring to the battery lead, not the starter lead, as otherwise the only electrical item that will work is the starter using the button on the solenoid.
We've lost pictures too, I've no idea if we'll be able to recover them.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Dextapaul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dextapaul »

Ok thats straight forward then!

On the end of the starter motor itself there are two brass studs. I guess one positive, one negative. How do I know which is which?
One stud is to be connected to the body - do you know what it is connected to? The only fixings nearby are the sump bolts - does it connect to one of these?

Thanks (again!)

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The stud that is insulated from the end plate is the one that connects to the solenoid, the other one just needs a nut on tight, the return is through the body of the starter.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Dextapaul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dextapaul »

A little off topic, but another question :D

Where the brake shaft enters the back of the brake back plate i have a replacement washer and spring for each side. I understand this is to keep muck out of the brakes.
What does the spring press against on the shaft? - it looks to me like the spring just slides along the shaft, so won't press the washer against the back of the brake back plate.

Am I missing something? :roll:

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The spring should be a tight fit on the shaft and hold itself into place.
Sandy
ImageImageImage